Flower Identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy - firstly...I'm not really a gardener other than growing the odd salad leaf, but I need some assistance and I'm hoping someone can help.

I deal in vintage lighting - table lamps, mostly. I have a nice porcelain lamp that is decorated with pink and green flowers. I've tried Google Images but nothing concrete on the similar species (if indeed they are actual flowers and not someone with artistic licence).

Image of the flowers are below and thank's for looking (and hopefully identifying).

Flower Identification.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

I do often try to identify painted flowers that I run across.Even when 'identifable' they are usually somehow inaccurate, but it is an interesting exercise in perception. The large pink flower is a very double Rose (Rosa spp.), such as a Cabbage rose (Rosa x centifolia). There is also a rose bud and rose leaves shown with it. The large green flower reminds me most of a Hellebore (Helleborus sp.), though that form is also similar to an Anemone. The smaller flowers are less certain; there is definitely artistic license at play. The small grey ones over the rose bud suggest Forget-Me-Nots (Myosotis spp.). The pink spray is even less distinct. The smaller green flowers could be many things, Potentilla, Primula, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

I do often try to identify painted flowers that I run across.Even when 'identifable' they are usually somehow inaccurate, but it is an interesting exercise in perception. The large pink flower is a very double Rose (Rosa spp.), such as a Cabbage rose (Rosa x centifolia). There is also a rose bud and rose leaves shown with it. The large green flower reminds me most of a Hellebore (Helleborus sp.), though that form is also similar to an Anemone. The smaller flowers are less certain; there is definitely artistic license at play. The small grey ones over the rose bud suggest Forget-Me-Nots (Myosotis spp.). The pink spray is even less distinct. The smaller green flowers could be many things, Potentilla, Primula, etc.

Bravo, Marck. After a quick Google Image Search, you look to be bang on the money...or at least very close!

FWIW, I've got several dozen 'floral' lamps in stock that I've yet to photograph and list. Peonies seem to be a popular design for some unbeknown reason. I've got some Oriental ones that might be a challenge...

...but I'll post again the next time I'm struggling.

Ask a Question