Request for help in identification (and eradication) of a larval stage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I thank you all in advance for helping me.

Yesterday, while I was tiling the soil in one of the garden beds, I saw some of this larval stage of some insects (see picture attached).

1. Could you please help me identify this (I think it's a lawn grub)?

2. Are they harmful to vegetable plants? I found about 8-10 in a 4X4 feet raised bed.

3. If yes, what should I sue to get rid of them which will not harm the vegetable I will grow in the garden bed?

Thank you once again,
RJ

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United States
This looks like the larva of a Scarab Beetle (Scarabidae), also known as Chafers or June (Bugs) Beetles. There are many species, some are native, others are invasive, such as the well known Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica). Japanese Beetle adults are conspicuous on foliage. Are they in your local area? These insects do feed on plant roots as larvae and on plant leaves as adults.

There are bio-control agents available such as milky spores and beneficial nematodes. I would order some and apply as directed. They can be quite effective. Also hand-pick and destroy any larvae or adults that you find.

Some people also use non-toxic soil drenches of neem oil or similar. Experiment with this. There are toxic pesticide soil drenches as well but they will kill beneficial insects and cause more problems,as well as being bad for human health, especially if put on food plants.

Ask a Question