Attachments

• Flower Pic.jpg
    Flower Pic.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

The plant with blue-violet flowers in the photo appears to be Germander Speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys). It is native to Europe, Siberia, and central & southwestern Asia, but is listed as a naturalized weed in South Africa. There are several other plants in the photo (Oxalis, Fragaria?, etc.), but the lighting and composition is not very conducive for clear identification.

What does the word 'bale' mean in South Africa? I found it on a list of South African slang words, but the meaning given, 'to signify annoyance' doesn't seem right for your sentence. https://aforathlete.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_South_African_slang_words

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think he meant "Able", Marck, sometimes the fingers get in a twist :)

Speedwell is one of my favourite weeds, along with scarlet pimpernel and lesser toadflax. I often think how startling those colours must have been to Medieval field workers when the rest of their world would have been shades of brown and green.

jamesnel

James Nel
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I think he meant "Able", Marck, sometimes the fingers get in a twist :)

Speedwell is one of my favourite weeds, along with scarlet pimpernel and lesser toadflax. I often think how startling those colours must have been to Medieval field workers when the rest of their world would have been shades of brown and green.
Hi Oliver... you are right! Finger error. I did mean 'able'! Thank you for confirming that this is Speedwell... Regards

James

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I understand. I try to go back and proof-read my posts. Of course, I know some typos do still slip through. Th site's spell-checker can't be relied on alone. The response is delayed, and if the misspelling is also a word in its own right, then the mistake will only rarely be caught.

jamesnel

James Nel
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Sorry but I lost you now…I am glad to know that you go back and proof read your posts… don’t worry about small and insignificant mistakes that creep in from time to time! What is important is that the reader gets the gist of the message?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also encourage others to proofread their posts. The 'gist' of a message is not always unequivocal and straightforward, and mistakes don't make interpretation any easier. Brushing off errors as "small and insignificant" encourages a mindset that allows more of them to occur. Eventually, a mistake may happen that no one would consider "small and insignificant".

There is a similar situation with photographs. Efforts should be made insure photos have good composition, lighting, focus, etc.
With digital photography, one has many more chances to improve upon a bad shot. Still, too often this is not done.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For example...
I also encourage others to proofread their posts. The 'gist' of a message is not always unequivocal and straightforward, and mistakes don't make interpretation any easier. Brushing off errors as "small and insignificant" encourages a mindset that allows more of them to occur. Eventually, a mistake may happen that no one would consider "small and insignificant".

There is a similar situation with photographs. Efforts should be made to insure ensure photos have good composition, lighting, focus, etc.
With digital photography, one has many more chances to improve upon a bad shot. Still, often this is not done.

Ask a Question