I did some repotting today...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I finally got round to repotting one of mine today. It's a brush cherry (syzygium) about four foot high that was in a pot which was much too small for it, so it had grown roots out of the bottom and through my frost cloth covers. I suspect the roots may even have found a gap in the cement floor because it was impossible to lift it without cutting the roots.

It's now in a much bigger pot, but I still need to reduce the height because I plan for it to become a bonsai in the near future. But I want to keep the top for cuttings.

Reaction score
I finally got round to repotting one of mine today. It's a brush cherry (syzygium) about four foot high that was in a pot which was much too small for it, so it had grown roots out of the bottom and through my frost cloth covers. I suspect the roots may even have found a gap in the cement floor because it was impossible to lift it without cutting the roots.

It's now in a much bigger pot, but I still need to reduce the height because I plan for it to become a bonsai in the near future. But I want to keep the top for cuttings.
I don't now how you manage to lug those trees back and forth all the time - you must be in great shape just from your bonsai!!!
Mind telling me the name of this one? I have seen it before, but I don't know what its name is. It looks like a succulent tho, I could be wrong... been wrong a lot times before.
That is a little hen and chick plant. I don't know exactly what variety, because that is all that it said on the plant tag. I just love hens and chicks - I plucked this one out of my garden to keep inside over the winter. Then when spring comes, it should hopefully have produced more chicks to plant out. Even if it doesn't, I just love the way it looks in the glass candleholder.

Reaction score
That is a little hen and chick plant. I don't know exactly what variety, because that is all that it said on the plant tag. I just love hens and chicks - I plucked this one out of my garden to keep inside over the winter. Then when spring comes, it should hopefully have produced more chicks to plant out. Even if it doesn't, I just love the way it looks in the glass candleholder.

It's a really beautiful plant, I hope it thrives inside :) I'm actually a bit hesitant of repotting succulent plants, I've had some really bad results in the past. For some reason succulents are not the easiest plants to take care of more me. Too bad because I really like succulents! I wish you the best luck with your plant and your overall repotting project :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't now how you manage to lug those trees back and forth all the time - you must be in great shape just from your bonsai!!!

I wish I were. I've always said that I'm the only person I know who loses weight in winter, when I do most carrying (and least pruning etc), but I'm afraid this winter I managed to gain weight anyway. When I'm not busy with my trees I spend far too much time in front of the television or computer. And now that spring has arrived I'll be getting even less exercise. I really need to do something about it.

Reaction score
It's a really beautiful plant, I hope it thrives inside :) I'm actually a bit hesitant of repotting succulent plants, I've had some really bad results in the past. For some reason succulents are not the easiest plants to take care of more me. Too bad because I really like succulents! I wish you the best luck with your plant and your overall repotting project :)
You have to learn to ignore them - that's what I do. I pop them in potting soil mixed with equal parts clean sand, water them good when I first plant them, then water them about once a month indoors (unless it's really dry) or once a week (or so) if they are outside in summer in pots. That first picture was just a tiny stub about 2 inches tall that had broken off a plant, that I stuck in my metal chiminea (I have a coir liner and sandy soil in it for succulents in the summer). I pretty much ignored it all summer, and then just replanted it back indoors, and it's more than twice it's size. They are wonderful plants, because they love neglect. :p

Reaction score
I wish I were. I've always said that I'm the only person I know who loses weight in winter, when I do most carrying (and least pruning etc), but I'm afraid this winter I managed to gain weight anyway. When I'm not busy with my trees I spend far too much time in front of the television or computer. And now that spring has arrived I'll be getting even less exercise. I really need to do something about it.
Me too. I have lots of good excuses - it's too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, I have too much other stuff to do on the weekends and I don't have enough time on weeknights...... Lucky I garden or I wouldn't get any exercise at all!

Reaction score
You have to learn to ignore them - that's what I do. I pop them in potting soil mixed with equal parts clean sand, water them good when I first plant them, then water them about once a month indoors (unless it's really dry) or once a week (or so) if they are outside in summer in pots. That first picture was just a tiny stub about 2 inches tall that had broken off a plant, that I stuck in my metal chiminea (I have a coir liner and sandy soil in it for succulents in the summer). I pretty much ignored it all summer, and then just replanted it back indoors, and it's more than twice it's size. They are wonderful plants, because they love neglect. :p

Hahaha! Yeah, you know what's really funny? I have had a really small aloe plant for 4 or 6 years already, I used to pay a lot attention to it. It never grew a lot. I forgot about it a while ago, and yesterday I just checked and it seems a new baby plant is growing and the main plant is way bigger :D So I can tell they don't like the attention, huh! I'll ignore mine as much as possible now on :)

Ask a Question