How to root a rose stem

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw posted on pinterest a cool tip to root a rose stem that you have received as gift or one cut from your bush.

Put the stem in a plastic milk bottle, watered then place a cut off soda bottle over the stem with the top on to make a closed container. The plant will stay moist, will root and start a new plant.

Reaction score
Pat, isn't this the most common way to root any kind of cuttings? This is how I have always done it.. I would use a plastic bag instead of the soda bottle.. But I think after trying various methods letting the stem root in water is much more successful. Or that is what I think.
Here is the picture for rooting through the method has Pat mentioned above..
4f1a620b68b492d12aad8d74e7324ccf.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Maddie for the picture of the cute rose stem. My point in this post is not to throw the gift of a rose stem away, to root it and make a new plant. I didn't know a rose stem could be rooted, just sharing the info for people like me who also didn't know you can root a rose stem. I also root my plants in water.

Reaction score
Thanks Maddie for the picture of the cute rose stem. My point in this post is not to throw the gift of a rose stem away, to root it and make a new plant. I didn't know a rose stem could be rooted, just sharing the info for people like me who also didn't know you can root a rose stem. I also root my plants in water.
Pat, I didn't realize people threw those stems away.. I always use the stem cutting after my plant is drooped off to start a plant.. infact I have a couple of daisies growing this way.. :) Since we already have the flower in water.. letting them root in water would be a good idea.. only we need to ensure that the water is clean and free of decaying leaves.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maddie, I have a wondering jew that started in water and is now taking over my bedroom. I will be glad when it warms up enough to put it outside. My bedroom is the brightest and warmest room in the house, I have 5 plants in a very small bedroom. My daughter just gave me an african violet, I have not had any experience with this plant, any hints.

Reaction score
Maddie, I have a wondering jew that started in water and is now taking over my bedroom. I will be glad when it warms up enough to put it outside. My bedroom is the brightest and warmest room in the house, I have 5 plants in a very small bedroom. My daughter just gave me an african violet, I have not had any experience with this plant, any hints.
As far as African violets are concerned all you need to do is get the required plant food and feed the plant once every fortnight,, the plant flowers abundantly all through the year. Just have a bulb fixed to give it sufficient light for 8-10 hours in winter and you will never miss flowers in winter. I love the plant. Never water from above or mist the plant.. water from below the leaves always and clean out the dead leaves to allow fresh growth..
I have to try a wandering Jew in water. I love the color :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I was looking at a Facebook posting about roses, and it said that if you put the bottom of the stem into an old potato, it will root. Has anyone ever heard of doing this, or tried it ? I. Don't have any roses to test it out with, but I was thinking it might work with other woody types as well. There are a lot of wild blackberries out here, and if I can get some rooted starts to plant closer to the house, I would like that. Suggestions ?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Maddie for the African violet information, I noticed the planter has salt around the edges from being watered from the top. I will transplant to a new pot and only water from the bottom.

Reaction score
I was looking at a Facebook posting about roses, and it said that if you put the bottom of the stem into an old potato, it will root. Has anyone ever heard of doing this, or tried it ? I. Don't have any roses to test it out with, but I was thinking it might work with other woody types as well. There are a lot of wild blackberries out here, and if I can get some rooted starts to plant closer to the house, I would like that. Suggestions ?
I haven't heard of this before.. however I searched it on the internet.. It just seems like planting the cuttings in potatoes just provides the moisture and that you could provide by putting a plastic bag /soda bottle over it. I am really not sure if this method has any advantages over the others.. after my little research on this subject.
I think that it would be fun to test it with other hard wood cuttings.. it is always good to learn through these little experiments. Lets know how it goes. Thanks for posting this information. I have learned something today through that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As far as African violets are concerned all you need to do is get the required plant food and feed the plant once every fortnight... Never water from above or mist the plant.. water from below the leaves always and clean out the dead leaves to allow fresh growth.

This may explain why my African violet didn't survive. I did get those plant spikes for feeding, but I didn't know not to water it from above. I do know they like warmth and humidity, but I don't know if it got enough light on the window sill where I kept it.

I was looking at a Facebook posting about roses, and it said that if you put the bottom of the stem into an old potato, it will root. Has anyone ever heard of doing this, or tried it ?

I'd be interested to know how that worked out. I tried some cuttings dipped in cinnamon and placed in soil, but I guess I didn't have the right amount of moisture because eventually they all died. I had one last piece of stem that I was too lazy to put in soil so I just left it in water. This one looked like it had a new leaf on it so I looked down in the container to check the water level and there was a root sticking out from the bottom of the stem!

In a few more weeks I think it will be ready for planting. I'm going to start it in a decent sized flower pot and hopefully it will grow into a nice rose bush.

Reaction score
The trick with African violets is to put a plastic cover or clear plastic container over the plant and place it if full sun after watering even if you do it for a couple of hours a day for a week or two the plant will start producing new growth and flowers.. African violets aren't that hard to care for as it is made out to be.. I love the plant only because it is easy to grow and flowers in abundance. all year through. I am on the look out for some beautiful pink varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a cousin who used to sell them at one time. Her plants had a wick watering system, but for some reason I just couldn't keep the plant alive. I guess it just needed ore care and attention and I was likely too busy at the time.

Reaction score
I have to sell some of my African violets too.. It is pretty expensive here.. but those who know even a little bit about this plant can start a new plant from a leaf just as I do all the time.. It is one of the easiest plants to grow.. especially in hot weather.
I will have to get a few more colors and start selling those :) I used to sell Poinsettias at one time.. People still keep asking me for those.. If I had a little more space I would happily grow more plants and put them on a sale :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie while I was watering my outdoor plants recently I noticed a branch had broken off from one of my curbside rescued poinsettias. On a whim I stuck it in dirt in an empty pot and watered it. The top has been dying off but there are a bunch of new leaves growing on the green bottom part. Two of my other poinsettias don't seem to have survived, but I think I underestimated their water needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I threw away too many cut roses stems before I realized that I could grow a new rose from them. I really regret it. Although once I tried to root one and it didn't work out, even though I watered it a lot. Oh well, when I get a new rose, I'll try again:)
I'm way more successful with growing miniature roses from cuttings:D

Ask a Question