How to help by hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have what I assume is a type of privet (sorry bit of a newbie) in my garden which has been attacked by something over the last 12 months or so. With spring growth the privet appears to be fighting back, but I want to help it if i can. Can anyone help indentify whats attacking it (pics attached) and what I can do to treat tp give the privet a chance and stop it spreading.
Many thanks,
David

Attachments

• 20230415_090036.jpg
    20230415_090036.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221015_102704.jpg
    20221015_102704.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I have what I assume is a type of privet (sorry bit of a newbie) in my garden which has been attacked by something over the last 12 months or so. With spring growth the privet appears to be fighting back, but I want to help it if i can. Can anyone help indentify whats attacking it (pics attached) and what I can do to treat tp give the privet a chance and stop it spreading.
Many thanks,
David
Your plant has a bad infestation of scale insects. The cure is simple enough but actually doing it on the hedge will be challenging. What you do is spray the ENTIRE plant, ALL of the stems and leaves, completely covering the entire plant with the spray. The spray is Neem Oil. Get a fresh bottle because this stuff has a fairly short shelf life. Mix per directions and spray the plant every 7-9 days. You should do this at least 3 times. Some of the scale on your plant is called hard scale or armored scale. This insect has permanently attached itself to the plant and has grown and covered itself with a hard coating, sort of like a barnacle. The way these things are killed is by smothering them and the oil in the Neem Oil does this very effectively. Once the scale is dead it will NOT fall off of the plant. It will stay there until the plant grows enough to force it off. Your plant has both hard and soft scale, the soft scale being the young immature offspring of the hard scale. These scale are mobile and much easier to kill than the hard scale. The insecticide in the Neem Oil is what kills these insects. The reason you should spray at least 3 times is to make sure that you have killed all of the scale AND their eggs. Scale can and will kill a plant if it is not eliminated. Just remember that you MUST cover every inch of the plant with the neem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your plant has a bad infestation of scale insects. The cure is simple enough but actually doing it on the hedge will be challenging. What you do is spray the ENTIRE plant, ALL of the stems and leaves, completely covering the entire plant with the spray. The spray is Neem Oil. Get a fresh bottle because this stuff has a fairly short shelf life. Mix per directions and spray the plant every 7-9 days. You should do this at least 3 times. Some of the scale on your plant is called hard scale or armored scale. This insect has permanently attached itself to the plant and has grown and covered itself with a hard coating, sort of like a barnacle. The way these things are killed is by smothering them and the oil in the Neem Oil does this very effectively. Once the scale is dead it will NOT fall off of the plant. It will stay there until the plant grows enough to force it off. Your plant has both hard and soft scale, the soft scale being the young immature offspring of the hard scale. These scale are mobile and much easier to kill than the hard scale. The insecticide in the Neem Oil is what kills these insects. The reason you should spray at least 3 times is to make sure that you have killed all of the scale AND their eggs. Scale can and will kill a plant if it is not eliminated. Just remember that you MUST cover every inch of the plant with the neem.
Fantastic info - thank you very much. Do I apply the neem oil neat or do i mix with water? Just thinking the quantity needed for 3+ applications. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fantastic info - thank you very much. Do I apply the neem oil neat or do i mix with water? Just thinking the quantity needed for 3+ applications. Thanks
No, you mix it with water. IIRC it is 2 oz per gallon for scale. I think the smallest container you can purchase is 12 oz.

Ask a Question