New Lawn Help

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Advice needed.
I recently dug off and re-soiled an area of waste ground to side of my garden to make a play area for kids. Start of September last year I started and put down about 3inches of fresh topsoil over the area, raked in grass seed and left it (didn't roll or tread over). Unfortunately grass did not establish well, very patchy and bare other that around edges where soil may have been slightly deeper and would have been walked on (treaded).
In attempt to establish more growth I reseeded the area last month and rolled with granite roller, but seeing grass seed just lying on top of ground still after couple of weeks and having read seed needs some soil cover, I top dressed the area again last week with screened topsoil, maybe 1inch deep, and slightly deeper in low areas to level up, and rolled again with the granite roller.
I am now reading that I may now have suffocated the grass seed by soiling over and compacting? What should my next step be? Should I rake over the soil again and reseed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It wouldn't hurt to keep adding more seed. The birds will like a bit more anyway - they'll think you're being kind to them ;) I reckon though that the ingredient you need mostly, apart from sunshine and a drop of rain, is patience. Grass will grow, it always does, but new seed needs more warmth to germinate.
I suppose the quick fix is to splash out for turf. Just don't go down the plastic grass route for goodness sake, you'd regret that for ever!
Big welcome to the forums @ConorMc14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Advice needed.
I recently dug off and re-soiled an area of waste ground to side of my garden to make a play area for kids. Start of September last year I started and put down about 3inches of fresh topsoil over the area, raked in grass seed and left it (didn't roll or tread over). Unfortunately grass did not establish well, very patchy and bare other that around edges where soil may have been slightly deeper and would have been walked on (treaded).
In attempt to establish more growth I reseeded the area last month and rolled with granite roller, but seeing grass seed just lying on top of ground still after couple of weeks and having read seed needs some soil cover, I top dressed the area again last week with screened topsoil, maybe 1inch deep, and slightly deeper in low areas to level up, and rolled again with the granite roller.
I am now reading that I may now have suffocated the grass seed by soiling over and compacting? What should my next step be? Should I rake over the soil again and reseed?
After spreading the seed you have to keep it wet until the seed germanate and water it a few times a week until its established. . The temperature needs to be nice and warm too. The only way rolling your seed will kill it is if the seed already had tales or radicles and the roller broke them. If the seed wasn't germinated when you rolled then your seed should be ok.

Ask a Question