TURF/LAWN/GRASS/SOD GROWING IN A TRAY - SOIL FALLING APART DURING TRANSPORT- HELP PLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I am going to be based in Hong Kong (where it is around 34 C all year round) and am trying to hydroponically grow some hot weather grass (fescue, Bermuda) in a tray and plan to use it for my dog’s pottying purposes. My sister also has a dog and has asked me to send her a tray as well (she doesn’t want to grow herself haha).

I have managed to grow grass (being a newbie gardener), however my problem is that the hydroponic growing medium (coconut coir, which looks and felts like dirt) I am using or the ‘soil’ won’t stick together / falls apart whenever I try to take the grass out of the tray. Can’t imagine it would ever survive transport via post/delivery in a cardboard box… would make a huge mess. each patch is probably around 60x40inch so kind of big.

Any ideas on how to make the ‘soil’ stick together better so that it is like a piece of carpet or biscuit when I pull it out? Have researched and found stuff about soil stabilisers but not sure these are readily available in small quantities as they are used for industrial purposes. Have thought about bird netting but this is mostly made out of plastic and I want to use only biodegradable materials. Can’t seem to find hessian or jute blankets that have a loose enough weave (but not too loose).

Are there certain grass varieties that would grow a thicker root mat that would hold the ‘soil’ together, by any chance?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. Sorry what do you mean by ‘new’ artificial grass? Wondering if I’m missing smth. I already use artificial grass and find that the dog pee makes it really stink and cleaning is needed like 1x a week…

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you. Sorry what do you mean by ‘new’ artificial grass? Wondering if I’m missing smth. I already use artificial grass and find that the dog pee makes it really stink and cleaning is needed like 1x a week…
What I mean is there is now a market with a large selection of realistic looking artificial grass. What you may actually be looking for is a convenient drainage system, whereby runoff may be controlled or captured and very possibly recycled as a now appropriately diluted fertilizer. Imagine artificial grass up on a shower pan with a drain, where it is easily hosed clean. This should minimize having to touch it for maintaining it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you allowed to transport living plants around the globe like that? Something that big, and presumably that heavy, is going to cost a bit. How about starting the grow when you get there and using a bit of artificial until it gets going? You might even be able to chuck the artificial rather than having to clean it, and seed and bone dry growing medium will weigh far less.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks both. Sorry maybe wasn’t clear - im going to move to HK and my sister is already there. So we will only be posting this stuff locally, not internationally. Definitely dont think the laws would allow for international posting of seeds etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think the problem you have with it holding together is because you are using a compostable material that rots down. Try using topsoil or garden soil and the results should be better.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you say you will be growing hydroponically then try growing on capillary matting, roots will grow through this, should be able to roll up and carry easily.
Myself; `I'd teach dogs to use a cat litter tray.

Ask a Question