How to defend brussels sprouts from pests?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I grew brussels sprouts for the first time, and it was so fun watching them grow- they were just massive, and when the sprouts started popping up it was magical. They kept growing bigger without any issue and then one day they were completely covered with what seemed to be aphids. Since I had neem oil and some other natural pesticide on hand I tried them, to no avail. It also occurred at a time when I was working out of town so I couldn't devote much time to trying to save them, and unfortunately had to let them go.

Any suggestions on what might protect them when I try again? They'll be in 20 gallon containers if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Bamboozled, I grow a lot of Brussel sprouts and haven't experienced bug infestations as you described...yet..but I always rotate the planting location.

I'm interested in how this works out...but I'm very skeptical that covering the sides of the plants will do anything to stop aphids and cabbage butterflies...skeptical as in disbelieving. Hopefully, you changed out the soil in the containers from where last grown.

Please report on how this works out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bamboozled, I grow a lot of Brussel sprouts and haven't experienced bug infestations as you described...yet..but I always rotate the planting location.

I'm interested in how this works out...but I'm very skeptical that covering the sides of the plants will do anything to stop aphids and cabbage butterflies...skeptical as in disbelieving. Hopefully, you changed out the soil in the containers from where last grown.

Please report on how this works out.
What's interesting is that the other veg in and around the same spot didn't have any issues.

The soil has been changed, thanks for the reminder.

I'm leaning towards a greenhouse if I can get the free (used) windows, just something small with about a 4' x 6' footprint as I have some plywood and 2x4s leftover from another project.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It can be worth popping in to your local double glazing firm and having a chat, it is to their advantage if they don't have to pay to dispose of old windows.
Good tip, thanks- I'm into recycling/repurposing material as much as possible. One of my favorite things is to take salvaged redwood fencing and run it through a planer- the wood often comes out looking brand "new."

Ask a Question