How Hard Can They Make It?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered a camera lead from an on-line supplier on 1st April. It wasn't expensive, less than £9. It was supposed to arrive within a week. I've not yet received it. I've messaged them through their website five times but with no response. There's no e-mail address listed or a telephone number on the website.

I tried Barclaycard on-line to query the transaction, but it was too complicated.

So I contacted Barclaycard by phone.

Well, I got an automated voice with all the usual "Your balance is, (whatever), you can spend (whatever), you should pay, (whatever), try our app, press one to nine," anything but let me speak to someone.

Continually pressing the hash key, eventually put me through to "that nice helpful Indian girl with the barking dog who works from home answering similar calls from countless different companies, but whose English is poor."

Eventually she got me through to someone in England. (I can understand Scottish accents).

I explained the situation and that I'd tried to sort it on-line, but after a lengthy, "yes, no, interlude," a pro-former came up that I could download, fill in answers to lots of questions, attach receipts, etc., and post it to Barclaycard, all for something that cost less than nine sodding pounds!

She saw my point and said as it was less than £10, she'd write it off and refund my money there and then and not to worry if the camera lead turns up.

I thanked her, but afterwards I thought that Barclaycard could well afford it, considering they charge an obscene rate of interest to those people who can't afford to clear their balance each month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I buy anything online and the website does not have an e-mail address or phone number I just figure it is a scam and look elsewhere

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I figured they have a problem with the website.

The site seems legit enough and they would have to be registered with Barclaycard to receive payment,.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Barclays has posted an attributable profit of £5bn for the year 2022, a fall of 19% compared with £6.2bn a year ago. For the year ended 31 December 2022, the bank's total income rose 14% year-on-year to £24.95bn. Total operating expenses increased to £16.73bn from £14.66bn in 2021.

They can afford it mate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Barclays has posted an attributable profit of £5bn for the year 2022, a fall of 19% compared with £6.2bn a year ago. For the year ended 31 December 2022, the bank's total income rose 14% year-on-year to £24.95bn. Total operating expenses increased to £16.73bn from £14.66bn in 2021.

They can afford it mate.

That's what I thought.

I wanted to know how much interest I would be paying if I didn't clear my balance each month and it was impossible to find out. It isn't a fixed percentage.

The only way I could was if I didn't clear it then I could work out what was the percentage rate from the amount of interest charged.
But I've not paid interest for over forty years.

No, that's a lie, I have a couple of times, in all those years, by accidentally transposing a couple of figures in the amount I had to pay, but a phone call, (when that was possible) got it immediately refunded.

Ask a Question