Looking for a Hardy Dwarf Orange Tree - Zones 9,10a

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Looking for a hardy dwarf orange variety that can grow well in a large pot - zones 9,10a.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Think this variety is ideal. Additional suggestions are welcome:
Dwarf Calamondin Orange
I cannot give a good endorsement of the Calamondin. It may be and probably is a good variety but in my part of Texas it is not a good producer and it takes longer to produce than other varieties. I am in zone 8b and the best orange citrus to grow in large containers are a couple of varieties of sastuma, Arctic Frost and Orange Frost. These varieties can withstand temperatures reaching to 10F for short periods and low 20's for extended periods. They both are exceptional producers.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have had great success with Satsuma oranges in zones 8 and 9. They produce a mild, sweet-flavored, easy to peel orange and very few seeds. They make excellent container trees and will generally not reach more than 6 feet tall. They require full sun for best production. They can tolerate temps down to about 27 degrees Fahrenheit without damage and can easily be protected below that by moving them indoors or with heat lamps, tarps and blankets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I cannot give a good endorsement of the Calamondin. It may be and probably is a good variety but in my part of Texas it is not a good producer and it takes longer to produce than other varieties. I am in zone 8b and the best orange citrus to grow in large containers are a couple of varieties of sastuma, Arctic Frost and Orange Frost. These varieties can withstand temperatures reaching to 10F for short periods and low 20's for extended periods. They both are exceptional producers.
Thankyou.

Ask a Question