Looking for hardy, drought tolerant,low growing tree.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Interested in low growing drought tolerant tree, that can take direct overhead sun for several hours.

This tree would be placed on a hill, with a moderate grade, so it's important this tree be tough enough to make it in dry conditions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Interested in low growing drought tolerant tree, that can take direct overhead sun for several hours.

This tree would be placed on a hill, with a moderate grade, so it's important this tree be tough enough to make it in dry conditions.
No responses tells me its slim pickens. :)
That's OK, will just have to adjust.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No responses tells me its slim pickens. :)
That's OK, will just have to adjust.
I was thinking a live oak which is one of my favorites. Long lived, very low maintenance, beautiful tree. It generally spreads twice as wide as it gets tall...but it still may be too large for you. Slow grower so it would take a number of years to outgrow a spot but it's one of the toughest trees I know of.

So. that was my thought, but I figured someone would have a better one to suggest possibly.... not many trees better than live oak, however.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I was thinking a live oak which is one of my favorites. Long lived, very low maintenance, beautiful tree. It generally spreads twice as wide as it gets tall...but it still may be too large for you. Slow grower so it would take a number of years to outgrow a spot but it's one of the toughest trees I know of.

So. that was my thought, but I figured someone would have a better one to suggest possibly.... not many trees better than live oak, however.
Thankyou. Have decided for a very drought tolerant shrub - non-deciduous - perhaps SweetPea Shrub.
Any other ideas are greatly appreciated - something with red (or pink) flowers preferably.

Last edited:

Ask a Question