How do you find new homes for plants?

Reaction score
That's you mission for next week then, set one up :)(y)

Haha Well if I did the plants would soon be all gone with nobody donating any to replace them! Might work in a nice small quaint town where people don't want everything free for nothing haha. Sad but true.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, maybe "plant exchange" would be a better name for it. We just had one at our annual garden meet up here in the UK, huge amount of plants, you just bring your excess ones and take what you want :)

Reaction score
I have a perfectly good hydrangea that I want take out to put in something else, but it would be a shame to throw it in the trash. What's the best way to go about finding a new home for a plant?

It really depends on where you live... there are many choices when it comes to finding a new home for a plant. The easiest would be offering it to a nursery or an institution. I actually offered most of my plants to one of those retirement homes, they accepted most of them happily :) I gave some to my neighbors as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am now in two plant swapping groups on Facebook. One someone added me to, and another I found on my own. I haven't swapped anything yet because I don't have an excess of anything, though I could probably stand to thin my ornamental ginger. More garden work...

Reaction score
I am now in two plant swapping groups on Facebook. One someone added me to, and another I found on my own. I haven't swapped anything yet because I don't have an excess of anything, though I could probably stand to thin my ornamental ginger. More garden work...

The old man next door (older than me I mean haha) mostly has just vegetables and we do share plants and produce when we have a lot. None of my other neighbors are into planting much of anything. I do have a friend I used to work with and we share clippings sometimes. That's fun to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The old man next door (older than me I mean haha) mostly has just vegetables and we do share plants and produce when we have a lot. None of my other neighbors are into planting much of anything. I do have a friend I used to work with and we share clippings sometimes. That's fun to do.

I swap/share with my mom, but as I get more stuff I'm sure I'll start sharing with the FB group. I gave the stuff I had last year to a friend who had a new house. My Thai basil is about to go to seed so I'll have that to give away soon to anyone who wants it. I have cilantro seed, but since it's used as a spice I'll be using most of that in the kitchen.

Reaction score
I swap/share with my mom, but as I get more stuff I'm sure I'll start sharing with the FB group. I gave the stuff I had last year to a friend who had a new house. My Thai basil is about to go to seed so I'll have that to give away soon to anyone who wants it. I have cilantro seed, but since it's used as a spice I'll be using most of that in the kitchen.

I think I saw on tv today if you cut the seed stalks off basil it will keep on going. I don't really know much about growing herbs/spices except parsley and shallots. Not a big cook and wouldn't know which to put in what. Maybe oregano for spaghetti and pizza.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Tommyotommy, People say if you cut the flowers off (before it goes to seed) it bushes out more. Basil needs lots of root space and sun and water. I've seen it get up to three feet tall planted in the ground, though I keep mine in large flower pots. The Thai basil is vigorous enough to stand up to winter, leaf out again in spring and set seed.

People say once the sweet basil starts flowering and seeding it isn't sweet anymore, but it seems fine to me. I love cooking with fresh basil; you just julienne the leaves and add them into your dish near the end. I love to cut up zucchini and yellow squash and sautee in olive oil with fresh basil - yum!

Reaction score
@Tommyotommy, People say if you cut the flowers off (before it goes to seed) it bushes out more. Basil needs lots of root space and sun and water. I've seen it get up to three feet tall planted in the ground, though I keep mine in large flower pots. The Thai basil is vigorous enough to stand up to winter, leaf out again in spring and set seed.

People say once the sweet basil starts flowering and seeding it isn't sweet anymore, but it seems fine to me. I love cooking with fresh basil; you just julienne the leaves and add them into your dish near the end. I love to cut up zucchini and yellow squash and sautee in olive oil with fresh basil - yum!

That sounds good, the zucchini with yellow squash, basil and olive oil....I've been experimenting with pita breads and I might try that....make it like a little pizza with all the stuff on top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds good, the zucchini with yellow squash, basil and olive oil....I've been experimenting with pita breads and I might try that....make it like a little pizza with all the stuff on top.

Have you ever put marinara on a bagel and then added pizza toppings? That's pretty good. I also like to use the fresh basil to make caprese. It's great in the summer because you don't need heat to produce the dish and it's not heavy - when it gets hot I start to lose my appetite.

Reaction score
Have you ever put marinara on a bagel and then added pizza toppings? That's pretty good. I also like to use the fresh basil to make caprese. It's great in the summer because you don't need heat to produce the dish and it's not heavy - when it gets hot I start to lose my appetite.

I'm definitely like that in the summer. Not often do I want something hot. I don't even like gumbo in the summer. I've been making giant salads every day. Cold macaroni salad is good too. Cold boiled shrimp or crawfish, 3 bean salads, stuff like that. Cold sandwiches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm definitely like that in the summer. Not often do I want something hot. I don't even like gumbo in the summer...

I was contemplating spring rolls last night, but I need to get more bean thread noodles. I also want to get into campfire style cooking outdoors in the makeshift fire pit. (It's a galvanized tub) I was so hot last night after the heat of the evening (it was nice during the day with the low humidity) I just couldn't deal with cooking.

Reaction score
I was contemplating spring rolls last night, but I need to get more bean thread noodles. I also want to get into campfire style cooking outdoors in the makeshift fire pit. (It's a galvanized tub) I was so hot last night after the heat of the evening (it was nice during the day with the low humidity) I just couldn't deal with cooking.

Yea and with the heat you can't imagine putting more heat in your body. Last night I had a big cold salad with nice cold dressing and cold boiled crawfish haha. What happened to our chilly spring?!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yea and with the heat you can't imagine putting more heat in your body. Last night I had a big cold salad with nice cold dressing and cold boiled crawfish haha. What happened to our chilly spring?!!

It got a beat down from early summer.

Ask a Question