How do you find new homes for plants?

Reaction score
I have a perfectly good hydrangea that I want take out to put in something else, but it would be a shame to throw it in the trash. What's the best way to go about finding a new home for a plant?

Reaction score
You pot it up, label it & take it to a local fund-raising charity plant sale. Whilst you are there you are bound to spot lots of other plants you didn't know you needed & will have great chats with other plantaholics!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Or stick it on Freecycle.

In Bristol there is a free shop, you can take what you want for nothing, they do like you to give something too though, otherwise it'd be an empty free shop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You pack it up and send it to me, lol! I have been trying to figure out who I know who has a hydrangea who might let me take a cutting or start a plant for me. I can't believe you want to get rid of it; it's such a gorgeous plant!

Reaction score
Yeah, Chanell has been on the look out for one.. but don't you have friends who would love to have an hydrangea? I don't mind adding one more to my collection. One more plant to experiment with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Throwing away the hydrangea would be too cruel. Also, I'm sure that it's a beautiful plant. If I were you, I would give it to someone - to a friend or family member. It will make a lovely gift, most people love getting plants:)

Reaction score
The idea of the free shop sounds good.
Many people enjoy swapping plants and it makes for good neighbours.
Many people split or take cuttings of their excess plants and sell them at car boot sales. We used to pick up a lot of bits and pieces to use in the garden when ever we visited a car boot sale. If it doesn't work, or the plants don't take you've only lost a few pence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
If you are in the US, then you could list the hydrangea on Craigslist, and probably sell it, or for sure, you can give it away free to someone that would love to have one.
Another possibility, is to look on the yahoo groups for a gardening group near you, and they will usually have plants to share on there, and you can sell, give it away, or even trade it for something that you would like to have in your yard.

Reaction score
I wanted to get rid of my aloe plant's babies, because they grow to be big plants so I can't keep every single one. I just put them in small, cheap pots and left them on a bus bench with a "free" sign on them. When I passed the bus bench later, they were gone. Sometimes all it takes to give something away is to put it in a public place.

Reaction score
I second the Craigslist and Freecycle ideas. I get stuff from both places all the time. It can be a real blessing for those of us on the lower end of the economic spectrum. You may also try just going to church or work or wherever you routinely hang out and asking people, "Hey, who wants a free plant?" Odds are good you'll find someone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
We have had donations of seeds and some plants sent to the wonderful restoration walled garden project Glamis Castle

Reaction score
I would just move it elsewhere if I were you! Otherwise, I would probably just see if a friend wanted it or something. I have a lot of friends who are passionate about plants and who would take them, though.

Reaction score
I have not experienced this myself, but my mother has. It was fairly simple for her to rid of the plants she no longer wanted. She simply made a craigslist post in the free section and on facebook to make sure it went to someone seeking out things for their garden.

Ask a Question