How do you create a hybrid food plant?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am really interested in hybrid plants. I started growing tomatoes as my first food plant and moved on to cucumbers and squash. I read in a magazine about hybrid food plants and want to know where to buy hybrid seeds. Thank you so much for your suggestions and comments.

Reaction score
I've always wondered how hybrid apple trees were created to be honest. I thought it'd be wonderful to have all those varieties of apples growing in just only one place. I hear it's not that complex, but it might not work all the time.

Reaction score
I've always wondered how hybrid apple trees were created to be honest. I thought it'd be wonderful to have all those varieties of apples growing in just only one place. I hear it's not that complex, but it might not work all the time.
I always assumed it had something to do with placing cuttings of one tree together with the cutting of another tree, and using special extra fertile soils to allow them to grow and bond together?

Reaction score
I thought the same, Livvy, but wasn't so sure after I tried it when I was very little, lol. But I uess that's how they do it, it has its science, I guess, can't work for little amateurs such as myself back then :p It was fun tho.

Reaction score
I thought the same, Livvy, but wasn't so sure after I tried it when I was very little, lol. But I uess that's how they do it, it has its science, I guess, can't work for little amateurs such as myself back then :p It was fun tho.
So that's not how it works then? I could have sworn it was. I mean, not just planting it in some normal soil, but you had to use special chemicals and such.

Reaction score
So that's not how it works then? I could have sworn it was. I mean, not just planting it in some normal soil, but you had to use special chemicals and such.

No, I'm sure special chemicals are used, otherwise it'd not work or might take more tries. If it was so easy everyone would be doing it, specially with apple trees ;)

Reaction score
No, I'm sure special chemicals are used, otherwise it'd not work or might take more tries. If it was so easy everyone would be doing it, specially with apple trees ;)
If only we could put some caramel and an apple together in the ground and get a new species of tree, eh? ;)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always thought you grafted two plants to create a new one. The idea is good to me but I have not tried it. I don't know if I will ever do anything more than think about it.

Reaction score
So I just got told on another gardening forum that I frequent that the thing I was thinking of was rooting hormone. So, there you go I guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's all about pollination.
You have to isolate the stigma of one plant, and use the anther of another to pollinate it.
Then you hope that the qualities you want of both are present.

Reaction score
That makes a lot sense! I'm not familiar with that process (as a gardening technique), but I have heard about it. I have heard it's a lot trial and error. Not sure I have that kind of patience, but good for those who do ;)

Reaction score
So I just got told on another gardening forum that I frequent that the thing I was thinking of was rooting hormone. So, there you go I guess.

Yeah, I guess rooting hormone would be the key. Wonder if the rooting hormone alone could do the job tho?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I guess rooting hormone would be the key. Wonder if the rooting hormone alone could do the job tho?
You WILL NOT get a hybrid with rooting powder.
Rooting powder is for rooting cuttings, as the name suggests. It's for propagating clones, the very opposite of hybrids.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That makes a lot sense! I'm not familiar with that process (as a gardening technique), but I have heard about it. I have heard it's a lot trial and error. Not sure I have that kind of patience, but good for those who do ;)
The simplest example, because of the size of the flowers, is courgettes/zucchini.
When you have a male flower of one variety open, and a female flower of the other variety almost ready to open, you take the male flower, strip off the petals to leave the stalk and the pollen infested stamen, then gently open the female of the other variety enough to put the male inside and rub it gently against the stigmata.
Withdraw the male flower, and tie up the female with a soft yarn, like wool, so that it is impenetrable for other pollination.
Let the courgette fully ripen (probably to a marrow) and the plants grown from its seeds will be a hybrid.

Ask a Question