How do you create a hybrid food plant?

Reaction score
The simplest example, because of the size of the flowers, is courgettes/zucchini.
When you have a male flower of one variety open, and a female flower of the other variety almost ready to open, you take the male flower, strip off the petals to leave the stalk and the pollen infested stamen, then gently open the female of the other variety enough to put the male inside and rub it gently against the stigmata.
Withdraw the male flower, and tie up the female with a soft yarn, like wool, so that it is impenetrable for other pollination.
Let the courgette fully ripen (probably to a marrow) and the plants grown from its seeds will be a hybrid.

Wow, thanks! It sounds simple enough :) I'd love to see someone doing it before trying it tho, just to see how is done, since I'm a very visual person. But it does sound so simple! It must be wonderful to be successful doing this! How long do you have to wait to see if you were successful with those two?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, thanks! It sounds simple enough :) I'd love to see someone doing it before trying it tho, just to see how is done, since I'm a very visual person. But it does sound so simple! It must be wonderful to be successful doing this! How long do you have to wait to see if you were successful with those two?
If the courgette behind the female grows to full ripeness, and produces seeds, they WILL be a cross.
What kind of cross is anyone's guess

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I am really interested in hybrid plants. I started growing tomatoes as my first food plant and moved on to cucumbers and squash. I read in a magazine about hybrid food plants and want to know where to buy hybrid seeds. Thank you so much for your suggestions and comments.
Any F1 is a hybrid.
If you see an x between two plant names, that also indicates a hybrid.

Reaction score
If the courgette behind the female grows to full ripeness, and produces seeds, they WILL be a cross.
So could you do this with any plant/vegetable or would it have to be a close enough match?

Reaction score

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info, I might actually try it! So this is what they do with those apple trees that grow several apple varieties in one?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So could you do this with any plant/vegetable or would it have to be a close enough match?
I think they'd have to be different varieties of similar plants.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info, I might actually try it! So this is what they do with those apple trees that grow several apple varieties in one?
No, that's grafting.
That doesn't hybridise the apples.

Reaction score
Figures as much. But how have we managed to cross over different plants in the past? Do you just continue to create hybrids which are closer and closer to a middle link?

Reaction score

No, that's grafting.
That doesn't hybridise the apples.

Oh interesting, then that's what I was interested in :LOL: I thought it sounded crazy, but I was certain I had hard about grafting. I tried it more than once, but I wasn't successful. Might try again sometime later. Thanks for all the info :)

Ask a Question