Honeysuckle identification?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have these three honeysuckle climbers.

One has red berries and the other two have black berries.

the one with red berries is climbing up an old dead tree and the ones with black berries are climbing up an arch and tree respectively.
My question is this:

1) What types are they? As I know that some flower on old wood and some on current years growth. If it helps the one with black berries has yellowy white flowers and the one with red berries has pink flowers. I can remember when each one flowers.

2) When and how do I prune each type? Given that one climbs an arch and the other(s) a tree? I want maximum flowers but to prune to thier situation too… so when and how fir each type?

pics below.. any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3653.jpeg
    IMG_3653.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3654.jpeg
    IMG_3654.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3655.jpeg
    IMG_3655.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The yellow one with black berries will be Halliana. A very tough and well scented plant that has to be favourite in my garden for the scent. The others are harder to identify without looking at the blooms, as there are so many varieties they could be.
This is a good safe time to cut back any growth which is clearly in the way, but as a general rule I only tidy the plants up if really necessary. Otherwise, I tie them in and just chop them if in the way. They will bush out and do their thing anyway as the weather gets warmer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you plant a small new plant of Halliana, it might give you a few flowers in the first year. In the second or third year it will show a lot more flowers as it ages a bit. It flowers on the old wood, and does not require pruning in these first years. It is quite late flowering, and mine usually takes over rather well as an American Pillar rose is beginning to fade. We have cold weather approaching right now, and I would not prune any of my honeysuckle at all anyway until spring.
If you have a Halliana which is very old and feel the need to prune, it is best to take an old leader and cut it at the base of the plant - leaving all newer growth.

Generally the honeysuckle looks after itself very well, and over fussing, over or under watering, and over feeding it is really not a good idea.
This plant does quite well on its own out in the wild.

As an incidental - there is an evergreen honeysuckle - the name escapes me at the moment, which is extremely strong growing, that I would avoid like the plague. The flowers are very insignificant, and it is so rampant it's a nuisance.

Ask a Question