How low can I prune this honeysuckle?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Attached is my honeysuckle tree. It's quite tall so I want to prune it all the way down to the cement wall's height? Is that possible or I'll kill the tree if I trim it that low?

Thanks

Attachments

• cdabef.jpg
    cdabef.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that was in my garden I would cut it right back to the ground level, then it will send shoots up from there to cover the wall better.
What variety of Lonicera is it - do you know ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Sorry I have no idea the variety. When is the best time to do this hard prune please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The very best time to do this job is in early spring before the buds have swelled. Cut cleanly with nice sharp loppers or a pruning saw about 6 or 8 inches from the ground. You will be surprised then how quickly your Lonicera will respond :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I guess that's the general rule for all trees and plants, which is to prune them end of winter or in winter in general. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Here's my honeysuckle at this moment. I want to reduce it down to the height of the wall. Can I still do that now with my zone or I have to wait until winter?

Attachments

• honeysuckle.jpg
    honeysuckle.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If mine, I would be out there today with a saw and cut it down to ground level - as I said last year. Or of course you could just leave it until next year, or the year after.

Ask a Question