How low can I prune this honeysuckle tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Attached is my honeysuckle tree. Right now it's shading the plants on the ground to its left hand side and I don't want that because the plants on the ground need full sun. So I have two choices, either prune it low or remove it.

If I can prune the honeysuckle tree below the cement wall's height, I think that cement wall is 6 feet then it won't shade the plants on the ground. But as you can see, all the leaves are above the cement wall and all the bare branches are below the cement wall.

My question is, is it okay to remove all the leaves and prune it all the way down to bare branches at the cement wall's height? If the answer is yes then I'll keep pruning it to that height (cement wall's height) so it does not shade the plants on the ground from now on

Attachments

• IMG_7948.jpg
    IMG_7948.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 381
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
yes , you can prune or cut the branches at the cement wall height, the new sprouting will be good in shape. and also remove the branches from the down , because its cluster of branches you should thin out

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7948.jpg
    IMG_7948.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can prune honeysuckle vine or shrub lightly any time of year. Wait until fall or winter when the vine or shrub is dormant for major pruning jobs. If you top that plant and cut off the all the top leaves it will not anything for photosynthesis. I think it would harm the plant if you cut it level with the wall while its in Spring vegetative stage. That being said, I never prune more than a 1/3 off any tree or shrub unless its dormant in Winter.

Ask a Question