Drip system, above or below mulch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
When they put in my drip system 20 years ago, they put it under mulch. Over time, soil wraps around it. I don't know why maybe they are afraid the sun will damage the drip system line if it's above mulch and exposed to the sun? I'm not sure. One thing that annoys me is whenever I need to plant anything, I have to look for the drip system line because I don't want to puncture a hole into it. I did that a couple of time already

My question is should drip system be below or above mulch? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When they put in my drip system 20 years ago, they put it under mulch. Over time, soil wraps around it. I don't know why maybe they are afraid the sun will damage the drip system line if it's above mulch and exposed to the sun? I'm not sure. One thing that annoys me is whenever I need to plant anything, I have to look for the drip system line because I don't want to puncture a hole into it. I did that a couple of time already

My question is should drip system be below or above mulch? Thanks
Actually it should be below. One reason is sunlight and the other is evaporation. But in reality it doesn't make much difference. Hose is super cheap and the amount of water minimal.

Ask a Question