Drip tape in raised beds, four foot wide

BJS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will be using drip tapes for the first time. The soil is good soil with a lot of humus. My Q. is how to space the tapes. With the larger plants, squash, tomatoes, etc. I will be planting single rows down the center, and plan on just putting one tape down the center. Well this be enough, or should there be two tapes in order to get the water to spread out more? ---- How about smaller plants where there are several rows, across the full four feet? How far will the water go sideways? Is it OK to have one tape down the center, need two, or what ? ? ? --- What and how have you done yours, and thoughts ? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One down the center for me, well I planted first and set up the support after. Sounds weird but we have not needed to water much the last few years so I have not set the system out as a result

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use a regular drip system that has emitters and each emitter is 1/2 gph. I find that on tomatoes or any of the larger plants that a single emitter is sufficient if placed directly under the plant. On plants that are spaced close together such as beans, corn etc. that the emitters should be about 1 foot apart both directions. The drip tapes that I have seen have drip holes about every 1 1/2 feet. The water will go on average on a radius of about 9 inches. So, a single line is sufficient for tomatoes and for small plants 2 lines in a 4 foot bed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I found watering by pail to be effective, since the water gets to where needed at the roots. I water with rain water when available, tomato, pepper, kale, potato etc. It is far simpler than drip irrigation.

Ask a Question