Is this honeysuckle?

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I was wondering if this plant is honeysuckle.

2021-10-31 16.42.58.jpg

2021-10-31 16.43.23.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is not a Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp., Caprifoliaceae)

This is a shrubby member of the Daisy Family (Asteraceae).

Actually, the leaves and flowers look very similar to a shrub called Mule-fat or Seep-willow (Baccharis salicifolia) in the Aster Tribe (Astereae). This plant is widespread, from the western United Stades, down to South America.

However there are many similar species of Baccharis and also other shrubby daisies in other genera, so take this specific identification as tentative.

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Thanks for your prompt and informative reply. I smell honeysuckle near my place here in Mexico but haven't been able to spot the plant yet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a honeysuckle, but honeysuckle is a huge family of wild plants, almost as many as salvias, and they grow in all sorts of shapes and sizes, from things that climb trees, to stand alone bushes, to small trees in their own right. I don't know if they all have that scent, but Google the flower and have a look, it is a quite distinctive shape even though colour and size may vary.

Ask a Question