Winter flowering honeysuckle

Dave_c

Keen amateur gardener
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I've got the right section for my question.
We planted a winter flowering honeysuckle early last year in the large pot full of rich soil and trained it up a home made trellis. Its just finished flowering here in the UK and already new shoots of lush green leaves are developing. Now I've read that I need to prune it, some say to prune it now and others say in the summer. So my first question is when and my second question is where to cut it back to.
I have attached some photos
Many thanks

Attachments

• 20230318_075840.jpg
    20230318_075840.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230318_075855.jpg
    20230318_075855.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Prunung is done when the flowers have finished, so about now or in a few weeks if they are still going strong.
On a young plant like that the most I would do is to make sure that there are no branches which are growing into the centre of the bush and remove them, otherwise, at most cout back any new growth by about half. We don't actually prune ours as I want them to get bigger.

Dave_c

Keen amateur gardener
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your reply.
I was under the impression I have to cut it back but are you saying if I want it to get bigger I can leave it this year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, if you want it to grwo taller then don't prune it this year. Eventually you will have to to keep it bushy, but you can prune it as hard as you like in the future.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I find that this plant can get out of control very easily and layer itself all over the place , especially if it's planted in the ground. it seems like a very good idea to me to keep it contained as you have done. Timing is important for pruning, as the new growth will give next year's flowers, so early is best when flowers fade. It's always good to put something bushy around the pot to help keep the clematis roots cool in the summer, and help protect from frost in the winter. As @Owdboggy says, when it's grown as big as you want it you can hack it about as much and as hard as you like.

Dave_c

Keen amateur gardener
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you @Tetters
The new shoots that you can see in the image are leaves im presuming. The flowers of next year will be on new branches that will grow this year? Sorry if I sound dumb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the new buds/new shoots are the beginnings of next year's flowers. These are the bits NOT to chop off. When the spring weather kicks in they will grow away like stink! For now you could just tie in the straggly bits and stop worrying about it. Don't worry, the more you grow and care for your plants, the more you will learn from them. Experience is always the best teacher, and we have all made loads of mistakes when we start out on our gardening life. You will become an expert if you stick with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A sudden thunk. What I mean by winter flowering honeysuckle is Lonicera fragrantissima or L. Winter Beauty. They are shrubs rather than climbers . My advice is for shrubby honeysuckle rather than climbing ones.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A sudden thunk. What I mean by winter flowering honeysuckle is Lonicera fragrantissima or L. Winter Beauty. They are shrubs rather than climbers . My advice is for shrubby honeysuckle rather than climbing ones.
Jolly good thunking Owdboggy. You hit the nail on the head there, and cleared up any confusion. Follow what our friend has said to the letter Dave - he clearly is talking about the right plant. I'm trying very hard (with my old brain) to remember what the name of my climbing one is :sorry:

Ask a Question