2022 Rose winterizing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I typically put rose collars around my roses & fill halfway with mulch by December 10th. Don't want to do too soon as to cause rose fungus, disease. It will be in the 40s a number of days until December 12th. Will do this then. Does that seem okay? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Linda. :)

What is your typical winter temperature please? I'm assuming it drops below what you have said after December 12th.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a new idea to me, I usually do Autumn pruning to stop bushes rocking in strong winds, the roots don't like it, but leave three buds past my final prune to allow for Winter die back, then make the final prune in the Spring. Does it get very cold in Milwaukee? Your solution sounds like a good one, firming the bush and giving protection from frost, shame about the fungal negative aspect. On a purely hypothetical basis it sounds as though you have it right though, fungi will be much less active the colder it gets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Linda. :)

What is your typical winter temperature please? I'm assuming it drops below what you have said after December 12th.
Yes it does. Midwest weather is so wonky. We've had single digits with wind chills in late December through February, then we've had maybe 20s/30s in those months. I've done the collaring & mulch halfway into the collar for 30 years though. Typically I don't want to do it when there are still 40s temps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a new idea to me, I usually do Autumn pruning to stop bushes rocking in strong winds, the roots don't like it, but leave three buds past my final prune to allow for Winter die back, then make the final prune in the Spring. Does it get very cold in Milwaukee? Your solution sounds like a good one, firming the bush and giving protection from frost, shame about the fungal negative aspect. On a purely hypothetical basis it sounds as though you have it right though, fungi will be much less active the colder it gets.
I typically don't get any fungal, but there is a chance of that if you collar them too soon & have warmer temps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If the roses are in pots I would consider keeping them frost free from 30F and below. In the ground they have more protection so 25F and below is a consideration. This also depends on the type of soil you have. The few roses I have are in sandy loam, which will stay warmer than clay.

Ask a Question