How to keep basket plants over winter(UK)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a trailing verbena that I really want to save. I'd like to take cuttings in the early spring. How is it best to keep the mother plant through the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

It says zones 6-9 for UK so I am still thinking it will be fine outdoors.

You also have the Royal Horticultural Society zones they call the H zones.

This article calls for a good winter mulching and says USDA 7-11. Personally I find being on the edge of zone limits risky as they do change over the years.

We keep tropicals in the heated garage by the windows and take them out on nice or rainy days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I find being on the edge of zone limits risky as they do change over the years.
You are more stable than us as you are a continent and we are an offshore island with the Atlantic one side and the North sea the other. Weather has always been changeable and unpredictable here, maybe why we talk about it all the time :) With a changing climate globally this has become even more so, e.g. last summer in the South here we only had 9% of our average rainfall.
Like my Dad used to say "Other countries have climates, we have weather". January to March are the coldest months here normally, but a winter day can be anything from minus five to almost twenty degrees Celsius

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You are more stable than us as you are a continent and we are an offshore island with the Atlantic one side and the North sea the other. Weather has always been changeable and unpredictable here, maybe why we talk about it all the time :) With a changing climate globally this has become even more so, e.g. last summer in the South here we only had 9% of our average rainfall.
Like my Dad used to say "Other countries have climates, we have weather". January to March are the coldest months here normally, but a winter day can be anything from minus five to almost twenty degrees Celsius
Even though we have been in USDA 7b and are now in 8a, there is a bellweather fig in the yard that has freeze burned to the ground 2x. That requires temps below 10f. Its a bit of a guess even with the zone guides. I would like to grow in a maritime climate. Here we could grow eucalyptus but not in our continental climate. That means we can only have stuffed Koala Bears.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plenty of eucalyptus round here, someone was an enthusiast, there was a grove of them opposite the flat where we used to live and I know of another large stand of mature trees a little way up the main road.
South Wales you might get away with tender plants outside if they are in the ground and you give them a bit of cover, but if you can inside when it is really cold is safer.

Ask a Question