How do you keep Big Italy Parsley BIG?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every year I grow parsley and always Big Italy variety. Most of the time I just buy it at the local greenhouse but I do sometimes grow my own. When I buy it at the greenhouse, I buy it with HUGE leaves but then as newer leaves grow , after a few weeks I stop getting huge leaves, same size as regular old Italian parsley. When I grow it myself from seed, it's usually never bigger than just regular Italian parsley size.

I have tried fertilizing with fish emulsion as much a 2 times a week but even without ever fertilizing my results are always the same, just regular size Italian parsley leaves. Don't get me wrong, it's all the same, my Italian parsley is always pungent but it's just never "big" 99% of the time.

So what's the "secret" to keeping Big Italy parsley big?

This is what it looks like now, I bought it at the greenhouse last week. Harvested all the HUGE leaves, now I just have big leaves. But soon all I will have is regular size leaves.

5zBAwIt.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I forgot to mention, last 2 years I have been preparing my containers (all of them) with 1/2 fresh potting soil (leave 1/2 old potting soil (I used Promix BK25) then I mix in about a table spoon each of bone meal and blood meal. I do this about 1 to 1-1/2 months before planting in them. This doesn't change the results on my parsley one bit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question