Any quick tricks to keep plants watered for 5 days?

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello all.
I will be out of home for about 5 days.
I have a couple of jasmines and 2 night blooming jasmines, a couple of rose plants and basil.
I plan to use the wick technique to keep them watered.
Can some one suggest best rope quality to do this?
Can cotton be of any use?
Any other trick?
I also have plates under the pots. If I keep them filled with water will that work in combination with the ropes

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, are you certain that the plants can't go five days without repeated irrigation?
Perhaps not if it is hot and the pots are small.

Wicking pots and temporary use of water pans might indeed work to keep the plants wet, and hopefully not too wet.

However, the best way to know if the exact system and equipment you devised will work is to test it before your departure,
so that you can monitor and make adjustments.

Yes, I think most cotton ropes could work fine as a water wick.

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello Marck.
My pots are about 12 inch in diameter.
There is sufficient capacity but the weather in Goa is moderately warm and I have observed that the upper one inch layer of the soil becomes dry in 2 days.
I previously used water treys (shallow pans ) to help out and wicking has helped as well.
My only concern was that a few of my plants seem to need more water so was wondering if there are added hacks which anyone has used before.

Ask a Question