Are monsteras quick growers

Reaction score
Country
Saint Lucia
My Fiancé got this monstera for my birth day in the third week of December last year. We are now at the end of January and I have not seen any progress. The plant only has three leaves however the nursery sold it in a huge 12” pot. With pretty dense soil. Is the pot too big for the plant??

Attachments

• DD099395-C3BA-444B-A0EA-C1A67581D8A4.jpeg
    DD099395-C3BA-444B-A0EA-C1A67581D8A4.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Country
United States
The growth rate of Monstera deliciosa can be quite variable. As your plant is small with just a few leaves, the growth may be slow at first. However, being in a tropical climate, I would think that some growth would be evident year-round. Does the soil and container drain well?

The photo of your Monstera is odd. It looks like there is soil or fabric immediately underneath the closest leaf, but the background looks far away and blurred. I'm guessing that is just an artifact of how the auto-focus works on your camera.

Reaction score
Country
Saint Lucia
D42E268B-8E41-477C-919A-1F62BAA1DFE8.jpeg

Hi. Thank you for your feedback.
The pot was just seated on a piece of fabric. The soil is very dense. Took a long time before I had to water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the soil is very dense, you may want to consider repotting it. Monstera deliciosa usually benefits from well-drained soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Outside, in the summer, in a warm climate, they are fast. If it is indoors, in the winter, it will need some winter sun. Mine is currently growing actively in mid winter, but not nearly as fast as in the summer. They are actually rather aggressive in growth if happy.

Reaction score
Country
Saint Lucia
Thank you for your feedback.

I live in the Caribbean so no winter for me. And it’s outside getting plenty of bright light. This is why I am a bit concerned.
I will continue to monitor and see what happens.

Ask a Question