How To Keep Herbs Alive Indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As the title states. I love herbs, I use them daily in almost all meals. For the life of me, I can not keep them alive indoors. Is there some kind of lighting or soil or other conditions that I don't know about? I've given them heat, strong lights, and good soil... is it my humidity problem that I have in my house?

They survive wonderfully outside in pots, but once they are brought in, they decline a few months later. I have tried many different techniques but still nothing. :/

Any advice or suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most herbs want full sun, regular irrigation in containers but with very good drainage, and occasional doses of a complete, liquid or granular fertilizer. The ideal humidity will vary with different plants but many herbs prefer low humidity. Which particular herbs are you trying to grow?

It sounds like you may be using grow-lights. They can work, but to get the effects of full sunlight requires a lot of wattage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Most herbs want full sun, regular irrigation in containers but with very good drainage, and occasional doses of a complete, liquid or granular fertilizer. The ideal humidity will vary with different plants but many herbs prefer low humidity. Which particular herbs are you trying to grow?

It sounds like you may be using grow-lights. They can work, but to get the effects of full sunlight requires a lot of wattage.
I've been trying to grow sage, thyme, summer savory, oregano, rosemary, and basil. I had the sage, thyme, summer savory, oregano, and rosemary in one area, whereas I had the basil elsewhere. I'll try higher wattage lights and better watering techniques.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the most part, low humidity will not be a major threat to the herbs listed, as long as light levels are high and soil drainage is good.

Ask a Question