Those plants that just keep growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
This Rhubarb plant was “rescued” from my wifes grandmothers house 18 years ago. Its been thriving here in this spot.
Of course we dont eat Rhubarb here , well my mom will grab a stock here and there but other than that it just grows and grows. Someday I will make a Rhubarb pie?
35B22956-3D09-4740-B2E4-015B5A49A92B.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rhubarb and custard, yum. My rhubarb are dying down now, a couple of cold nights. When all the leaves have gone I will cover the crowns over with a good layer of compost to keep the frost off and give us good, fat, sticks next year.

My missus put a verbena bonariensis at the back of the border to attract insects, now seedlings pop up everywhere, I transfer a few to the back and hoe in the rest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, Edible Rhubarb (Rheum x hybridum) is a dramatically attractive plant. At this point, I think of it primarily as an ornamental. Though I too will have a slice of home-made pie ...if somebody else will make it.
There are other species with even larger and more fantastically cut foliage. Seek out such exotic treats as Tangut Rhubarb (Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum) for even more spectacle and sensation.

Ask a Question