Those that are Yellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
The "World's Largest Rose" in Tombstone, Arizona is a specimen of Lady Banks' Rose (Rosa banksiae 'Lutea') that was planted in 1885. The flowers are pale butter-yellow and bloom in Spring, but the main trunk is the plant's most remarkable feature.

5969a5500b62f.image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many places, both in-person and online that sell roses. I would start by deciding which rose you really want, and the hunt down who sells that rose. Another thing to factor in is who sells own-rooted vs. grafted roses. It used to be that grafted roses were all one could find, but more and more growers are able to economically root their plants now. Both options can work, but I prefer roses on their own roots when I can find them.

So, besides yellow petals, what else are you you looking for in a rose?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many places, both in-person and online that sell roses. I would start by deciding which rose you really want, and the hunt down who sells that rose. Another thing to factor in is who sells own-rooted vs. grafted roses. It used to be that grafted roses were all one could find, but more and more growers are able to economically root their plants now. Both options can work, but I prefer roses on their own roots when I can find them.

So, besides yellow petals, what else are you you looking for in a rose?
Yellow and sweet smell.
Had a yellow rose years ago that was really nice full blooms and a sweet smell
Nothing like it since. I picked up a Knock out rose last week. Slightly discounted .
Its not as Sweet scented but its a start.
I wish I was better at keeping notes on what I plant. Going to try and keep better info. I have a note book that I have been using more

Reaction score
Country
United States
I totally agree, no point growing roses without frgrance. I only grow fragrant roses,
not counting my Banks Rose (Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' ), which is only incidentally a rose.
Talk says fragrant roses are disease-prone, but that is not necessarily true.

I'm tempted to just throw out cultivar names I like, but what I like, and what grows well in my area, may be very different than for you.

I would visit local rose gardens next Spring and Summer and take notes of what you really like.
Of course, if you are like me, you'll want to plant something now or in early Spring. In that case, find a local rose society or rose maven who can give you all the details, including the plant's local performance track record.

Let us know what you picked.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I totally agree, no point growing roses without frgrance. I only grow fragrant roses,
not counting my Banks Rose (Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' ), which is only incidentally a rose.
Talk says fragrant roses are disease-prone, but that is not necessarily true.

I'm tempted to just throw out cultivar names I like, but what I like, and what grows well in my area, may be very different than for you.

I would visit local rose gardens next Spring and Summer and take notes of what you really like.
Of course, if you are like me, you'll want to plant something now or in early Spring. In that case, find a local rose society or rose maven who can give you all the details, including the plant's local performance track record.

Let us know what you picked.
I will be poking around. Im no “gardener” but before rhe kids I had lots of time to keep up with the yard. Now they are older and helping trying to fet the yard back into shape.
I wont have as many flower beds to take of this time around and keeping it simple . The larger beds along the property line will get known local do wells
DayLilies , Hosta, black eye susans
A new rose bed and the tomato,cucumber garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I will recommend a rose... Do you see that pic of the Graham Thomas Rose (Rosa x 'Ausmas'), eight posts up from this one?

That is an excellent, fragrant, yellow rose. It has full-petalled, cupped shaped blooms like a classic old rose, but it is a modern remontant (repeat bloomer). It is also quite vigorous. It is usually trained as a climber, but it can also be made into a big shrub. I recommend getting an arbor or trellis and training it up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the Apollo 2008™ Rose (Rosa x 'Poulpar065'), a Parade Collection miniature rose introduced by Poulsen of Denmark in 2009.
Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 16.48.03.jpg

Ask a Question