Please Help with Monstera - What are those brown spots?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I got this little cupcake about 2 weeks ago and since yesterday I noticed some new spots that are developing, and now my heart is sinking that it might be bacterial leaf spot or root rot and its a new adventure every day lol. She is a monstera albo borsigiana. The spots are on the lowest two leaves, I have watered her exactly two times, once when I got her and put her in new ground and the second time was on Thursday (so about 10 days in between) as the top 3-4 cm were dry. She is in a mix for green plants, perlite, orchid bark and a tiny bit of seramis. She is also in a plant bag as I thought that might provide her with better air flow, humidity is about 50-60%.

View attachment 65511
View attachment 65512
View attachment 65513
View attachment 65514
What is wrong? What are those spots? Bacterial? Fungus? Root rot? Thank you in advance for your time!

Reaction score
Country
United States
No not Bacterial, or Fungus or Root rot! Those are water spots that come from excess water in the plant some time in the recent past. A plant pushes water through to the edge of its leaves, and if given in excess, this can cause veins at the edges to burst, which leads to browning. The damage could have been done two weeks or a month ago and now showing signs. So the core issue is to maintain a good water management program that will allow the water to exit the plant and soil. Let the top inch or two to dry well before watering again.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know this is an old thread, but I am facing similar issue, any updates, findings, causes, how to avoid from the thread author would be great

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know this is an old thread, but I am facing similar issue, any updates, findings, causes, how to avoid from the thread author would be great

In my case, it was just some physiological stress due to, perhaps, the plant being slightly more on the moist side (mild overwatering). Nothing really to worry about. Just plants being plants :)

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks for the quick reply,

Did you change anything in your routine, fertilizer, light, etc.
In my case the brown spots are still growing after months, it is placed in Pon, so overwatering is highly unlikely, actually I found out that cutting down the water and making sure it dries completely between watering made the problem worse, i am trying to be consistent with watering, I also sprayed it because I am suspecting it has thrips

I am hoping the new growth won’t have the browning, did the browning stop on the old and new growth in your case, or did the old leaves continue to suffer for a while longer

Ask a Question