How to keep Black birds out of your garden ??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which species of black bird are you referring to and what type of damage are they doing?
The European Blackbird (Turdus merula) is introduced in Australia. Is that the bird you mean?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see, of course, I need to protect seedling pots and beds from bird pecking too. The answer is to set up some type of netting or wire mesh as a barrier. Depending on the situation you might use bird netting, or chicken-wire/grid wire, either laid flat over a raised bed or else variously shaped into a dome, cone, or box. I have several grid wire boxes that I set over flats of seeds. I weigh them down with glass plates at the corners. Also, various types of storage bin and wire container can be turned upside down to form ready-made cages that will exclude birds, also rodents if the grid spaces are small enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We have always had blackbirds in our garden. At the moment we have two pairs that visit it. As we put enough food out for them and other birds, they don't do much digging except in the lawn, where they must find grubs etc., no real damage, which is a benefit to us.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Also it helps because all your plants are either trees or bushes - thats why admin said if u have seedling to protect them with a net.

What puzzles me is thats its only the Blackbirds that act like pigs , all other including starlings, Indian minors are super gently around seedlings , even my Raven that sits on my shoulder never goes near them .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is typical black bird behaviour, I see them throwing dead leaves in the air searching through them. They don't seem to be a problem once the plants have got past the seedling stage, and a lot of what they pick up is going to be insects you don't want around. If you don't want a net I find a couple of thin lines stretched above the ground will work. When they land their wing touches them and they don't like it and take off straight away. There are also lines which catch the slightest breeze and hum, never tried them but it sounds good.

The bird in your avatar looks like a jackdaw, ravens are blooming huge things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
As others have said, netting can work. Although a crude solution (and possibly not ideal), I might also suggest cats. For some animals, the mere scent of a cat in the area is enough to keep them away from that area. Even if not affected by the scent, birds will fly away at the sight of a cat.

It should be noted however, there are ways animals can have their fear of cats overriden. This is due to a certain mind controlling parasite. For example, any mouse which is infected with toxaplasma gondii will have its fear of cats "removed", so to speak. This is because the parasite can only sexually reproduce inside the body of cats and so it controls the brain of the mouse so that the mouse is attracted to feline fecal material. When the animal is eaten by the cat, the parasite can then reproduce in the gut of the cat and the cycle continues.

In humans, this infection is called toxoplamosis and it appears some studies have linked the parasite to certain psychological conditions. However, most people will experience no noticeable symptoms. Brief video explanation:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question