Herbs in a tin can

Reaction score
I felt this is a good idea to grow herbs in cans. I collected some empty soup and vegetable cans. I washed those cans thoroughly and removed all the labels. I added half of rocks into the can about an inch for draining and loose quality dirt soil within one inch of its top. I have planted basil and cilantro seedlings and placed on my kitchen windowsill where they can get enough sunlight. I have put a hole for drainage but added rocks at the bottom this will allow any excess water to drain down and later it can be absorbed back into the dirt or evaporate on its own. Hoping for best. :)

Reaction score
hahaha, that's a good question! I was asking myself the same thing. It's one can. And on that one can I have pictures of 3 herbs with their names written underneath. It's really confusing which is why I was trying to research them online. Maybe they expect 3 stalks to grow out of it. I'm starting to wonder if they were genetically engineered to grow in a can together.

How weird. Well you'll have to let us know! Maybe it's one of those generic packages where it's supposed to be marked on the front which one it actually contains. I don't know why they would try to put all three in the same can. :S

Reaction score
I have also seen similar stuff, but instead of a tin can it was a cardboard cup (the type you drink from) and the package came with different herb seeds and pressed soil "tablets", which turn into mushy soil when you pour water over them.

Reaction score
I wonder if you could do the same thing in glass jars? It seems that there would be less chance of any container by-products getting into the plant, since it is something that you will eventually consume. Of course, stones would be needed in the bottom as there would be no drainage in a glass jar. I actually grow cuban oregano in water in a glass jar and it does alright.

Jed

Reaction score
I wonder if you could do the same thing in glass jars? It seems that there would be less chance of any container by-products getting into the plant, since it is something that you will eventually consume. Of course, stones would be needed in the bottom as there would be no drainage in a glass jar. I actually grow cuban oregano in water in a glass jar and it does alright.
Years ago I grew a sweet potato in a glass jar of water.You suspend the potato a little above the water and the roots grow down into the jar.
I used it as a vine creeper to cover a sunny window.
I think you can use this method to sprout avocado seed before planting in the ground.
images

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jed, I have also gown plants from the sweet potato and the avocado which is harder to sprout. I like the vine of the sweet potato plant. It is an easy plant to start before you know it the plant will take over your space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These herbs in tin cans are available in my area, too. They're quite expensive though, I'd much rather buy some seeds and plant them in my own flower pots. It looks prettier and more natural.
But I was really surprised when I saw tomato plants in tin canso_O. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of them.

Reaction score
I bought the "Herbs In A Can" that OP is talking about a couple of years ago at Publix. Out of the 3 kinds of herb seeds in the can, the only ones that grew were the basil. I had that basil plant for a while before pests killed it. For $1, I think it was worth it.

Reaction score
I have never seen that before, but that is pretty clever. I have been thinking about how I am going to be able to afford to buy pots for the herbs I wan to start growing in the near future, but that seems like a good idea and a way to save me quite a few dollars. Thanks for sharing.

I do have one concert though, and that is drainage. Do you need to punch a hole in the bottom so it can drain properly?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
That sounds delightful! I would like to try and test it. I have bought the packets of seeds to grow in the garden but many of them die before I have even watered the soil. I do like my herbs and it is great to cook with fresh ones that you can pick from your very own garden. The only ones growing for me are the parsley, Basil and rosemary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
This is really nice. I think that this will work best for those beginner gardeners and as gifts to people. They are cute! I wonder if they will last long. :) Herbs are very easy to grow indoors though.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow I have never seen these before! It looks so intriguing! My hunt for this season is to find these somewhere so me and my daughter can begin this project in the spring! I had a friend tell me about this a few months ago but I didn't see any pictures and didn't really understand what she was saying so I just brushed it off but now I regret it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been wanting to try to grow some herbs indoors for a while, but I didn't really know where to start. I love fresh herbs and cooking with them. I wish I could find some of those "herbs in a can" in my area. I'd definitely give it a try!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I discovered these this summer. We bought several of them and planted them just as the instructions said. It totally didn't work. The problem we had was the growing medium included wasn't sufficient and the plants were too far down in the can. It was a cute idea though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was my first time too. That's why I had to pick one up. I still haven't opened it. So, I don't know everything about it yet. I tried goggling it but I couldn't find anything on it. Odd.

I did find other companies doing the same thing. It could also be the same company but different look. Here's a pic of one that looks like mine in shape and size:

It's actually pretty common to grow stuff in tin cans. You of course have to choose the right plant for it. People tend to go with herbs because they don't need much room to grow. I've seen herbs and peppers grow in miniature pots that are 1/2 the size of tin cans. My aunt grows peppers this way and then transfers them to a bigger pot later. She says that certain plants grow better that way.

Anyway, tin cans and miniature pots are perfect for indoor growing because of their size. They can fit on your windowsill or table easily. The one problem i've heard about growing plants in tin cans has something to do with chemicals in some can linings. I haven't done my research on it. So, I can't say much else. Sorry

Huh, now that's interesting! I want to go see if my local store has these things...

Ask a Question