Gifting herbs

Reaction score
I was so pleased to get a gift of herbs today. My friend presented me nice little containers of thyme, peppermint, and coriander.. This is not cilantro but rather longish leaves that are about a centimeter wide and a good 15 cms long. These leaves look so lush and smell and taste like cilantro.. Have you ever heard of this?
Do you like to give or receive plants as gifts? I always do :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love it. Love, love, love it:D . And my boyfriend knows about it:p . A few years ago I wasn't into gardening at all...and then, he gave me a miniature rose - and from this moment I'm so interested in plants! A miniature rose makes a wonderful gift:D

Reaction score
Oh what a sweet gift. Will you be planting them out eventually, do you think? Or keeping them in containers? I am trying to remember the last time I gave plants as a gift and the most recent I don't think should count in this, but I had four really healthy tomato starts I had no room to grow out, though I had nursed them along and they were in one gallon containers and just really strong. I gave those to a local farmer to grow out but nothing came of it as the weather did not cooperate well with tomatoes that year.

Giving dried herb as gifts is something I've done, definitely, but not living plants. I would love to receive some too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I plan to grow my miniature roses in containers. I could plant them in the garden but I know I would miss them a lot - I just love having them in my room. They're the first thing I see in the morning:D

Reaction score
Kyla, I am not so lucky all I have is a container garden in my balcony and I have to make do with that for now. I prefer living plants to dried herbs.. I actually do not care too much ( I do know it has its uses) for dried herbs and that is why I grow my herbs all year through in my kitchen window.

Reaction score
The only plants I've gifted were my aloe plant's babies and my elephant ear plant's babies. That's because they were growing a little out of control and I needed homes for the baby plants. I do like receiving plants as gifts but my ex was brainwashed by TV and movies to give me cut flowers, even though I said I'd rather have live plants than a bouquet of cut flowers. My ex once spent $50 on 24 cut roses. They died in a week. I could have bought a lot of plants for $50. This is why men shouldn't get all their gift ideas from TV.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ACSAPA I am totally with you on that one. I would much rather get a live plant as a gift than a bunch of flowers that are going to die within a couple of weeks. It is like a waste of money to me. Some people think I am strange for this. If you want to buy me roses...get me a baby rose plant or something that I can take care of and will last me for a while!

Reaction score
I've never received a plant gift but I'd certainly be delighted to! I always try to give some extra herbs and veggies to my neighbors. In return they give me eggs from their coop. It's a good relationship for all :)

Reaction score
Yes I do like to get plants as gifts for any special moment like a birthday or the holidays. Herbs are wonderful for the kitchen for adding to soups and other meals.

Reaction score
I love being gifted plants, specially ornamentals, but I am always pleased whenever I receive herbs as presents. Fresh herbs can always come in handy for delicious tea and soups.

Ask a Question