Harvesting Herbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
My small pot herb garden got so big that I couldn't cook as much that was being produced. How could I store the herbs if dried herbs and not as good as fresh ones. I did try to freeze some cilantro, but unsure if it will turn out good. I haven't used it yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My small pot herb garden got so big that I couldn't cook as much that was being produced. How could I store the herbs if dried herbs and not as good as fresh ones. I did try to freeze some cilantro, but unsure if it will turn out good. I haven't used it yet.
If you freeze herbs you will probably have to cook with them. Sometimes they get soft when thawed out and are not very good raw, such as in a salad. I usually dry mine and put them in one of those plastic spice containers that spices come in at the grocery store and then freeze the dried herbs too. It keeps them fresher tasting than if left out in your spice rack.

Reaction score

Although I too dry a lot of my herbs - as I am like you and prefer the taste of fresh herbs - I have found that freezing them as ice cubes works really well - for which you can use either water, olive oil or butter - but have to say that the ones that have been frozen in water are the next best thing to fresh herbs - as once thawed out they have both the flavor and texture of fresh herbs - which means that they can be used in just the same way - in salads, smoothies or sprinkled on top of cooked dishes etc

As we already have a thread on this subject - am including a link to it which I hope you will find helpful - as it gives a little more information - than I have given you here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/storing-your-favorite-herbs-as-ice-cubes.1620/

Reaction score
I have never frozen my herbs. I always dry them but I'm noticing I have more than I could use in a reasonable time. Maybe freezing them is the answer. Thanks for that link by the way. If I end up with too many I usually try to give them away but even then-short of selling them they don't really get used up like they should.

Reaction score
ASPCA Thanks for the link I am always looking for ways to use what I grow. I actually tossed a dying pot of catnip into the compost today since it just didn't seem to be going anywhere. It didn't even smell good. I meant to make tea and never got around to it. I still have seeds and I will plant it again. Maybe next time I will be better about getting things done.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My next step will definitely be drying my herbs, this will save me money at the grocery store.

Ask a Question