Help with tomatoes and Cucumbers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one lonely tomato on one plant, the other is not growing. Some of the cucumbers have had flowers but very little cucumber growth.
The plants were brought from a farm where I buy vegetables and are the same ones they plant so the problem is not the plants, it is the grower.
I planted them in good soil in early June, they receive plenty of sun on sunny days. I did feed them with liquid fertilizer when planted.
Help!
IMG_7332.jpg
IMG_7336.jpg
IMG_7335.jpg
IMG_7334.jpg
IMG_7333.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are keeping the plants too dry for healthy growth. Those fabric bags get hotter than heck and will cook plant roots in a week or two. Believe it or not, those plants need drip irrigation for success or drain trays. You water them in the morning by hand and they are cooked by evening. Waiting a day or two between watering will be even worse and more harmful to the plants. You have everything you needed but water management. Everyone learns this way.

Lift the bag dry and then wet after watering and feel the difference between the two weights. After you know the different weights it's easy to check the pot simply by lifting it. Another way is to use your finger and feel the topsoil before watering. So If you can't drip irrigate then add trays.

Gpag put a large drainage tray under the pots to keep the water from discharging too fast. A drain tray will give the fabric time to soak up the water it needs. Never leave the plants setting in water but use the trays to help take in more water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tomato looks spindly and the cucumbers look a bit yellow, might it be lack of light?
I would feed a bit more than just when you planted. I usually begin when they are a bit established with every other day and then daily when there are a few flowers. What are they planted in? I make a mix of compost and faemyard manure when they are going in pots like that, 50/50 to fill in the planting hole, a bit more compost than manure to fill the pot.
The watering advice above seems good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lack of sun could definitely be an issue given how many cloudy, overcast days we’ve had (MA/NH). Planted in soil purchased from a nursery.
You feed your plants every day?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have one lonely tomato on one plant, the other is not growing. Some of the cucumbers have had flowers but very little cucumber growth.
The plants were brought from a farm where I buy vegetables and are the same ones they plant so the problem is not the plants, it is the grower.
I planted them in good soil in early June, they receive plenty of sun on sunny days. I did feed them with liquid fertilizer when planted.
Help!View attachment 98614View attachment 98619View attachment 98618View attachment 98617View attachment 98616
I saw this picture before but when I came back to read the replies I noticed something I didnt notice before.
Is that mulch on top? It looks to me like there are wood chips in the soil. Wood buried in soil will rob you of Nitrogen. Nitrogen is needed for the plant to grow. That might explain the stunted growth.
Same soil different plants but same problem. The yellowing is also a sign of lack of N. It all adds up to me. Anyone else see what I'm seeing?

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some of that Sta-Green potting mix that I cant put enough nitrogen in it for some reason. Been like that ever since day one of using it with my strawberry plants. Seems like it did have mostly tree bark in it, cant remember. It is half rotted down at this point and still the same thing but really you still have to be careful not to give it too much nitrogen.

But yea it looks like they need some more nitrogen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The yellow leaves are a sign of magnesium deficiency. Give them a tablespoon of to of Epson Salts and water it in occasionally. Same with tomatoes, roses, peppers and a lot of other plants. If in doubt, do it. It can't hurt anything anyway.

Ask a Question