Help with ID please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Could you please help me identify the plants in this picture? Working on a new border and this is the perfect one for me but could do with some expert eyes. It is the third picture on the link the one with the variegated hostas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The taller Hydrangea in the back/top is Fire & Ice, ths shorter one is Limelight, the grass looks like Hakonechloa or maybe a Festuca and then there's the variegated Hosta. Without being able to see more detail that's about the best I can do. If you can find a good independent nursery (not a big-box store) and they should be able to give you some good selections that work in your area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, the two Hydrangea paniculata cvs are labelled next to the photo so that's easy. However do take note, the actual cultivar names are H. paniculata 'Limelight and H. paniculata 'Wim's Red'. Fire and Ice is only a trade name.

The grass looks much like green Miscanthus sinensis, or a variegated cultivar that reads green from a distance. The mid-Summer height of Miscanthus will depend on how hard it was cut back the previous Winter. It's not Hakonechloa macra, which has a different shape and arrangement to the leaves.

There are several similar Hosta with white bordered leaves, but the one Monrovia sells is Hosta x 'Francee', so there is another clue.
Still, do investigate other Hosta. There is a great wealth of intriguing cultivars that would work well in such a planting.

Ask a Question