Help to Identify Weed Please

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this growing in pockets in my yard. I can't seem to identify it anywhere. I want to spot treat it in the least toxic way possible. I only use organics on my lawn and can tolerate some weeds but I have this one and it seems to be spreading. Thank you.
20160921_122929.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Florida 9b
Country
United States
Not sure what that is...the only organic way to spot treat that im aware of is to just hand pull it out. Thats the old fashioned way that I still do because it works best. It looks like a dandelion that has not flowered yet but not sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I am ok using a herbicide when I have to, I just corner off the area till it is watered in good. It is definitely not a dandelion. Here he a picture of it in the grass.

Attachments

• Weed2.jpg
    Weed2.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 254
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It would help the people who want to help you if you update your profile to include where you live and/or what your climate zone is. You could be in Maine, you could be in Miami...it makes a difference you know. Welcome to the forum:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome. :)

And I have no clue, sorry...does it have deep aggressive-spreading type roots; can you tell when you've tried to pull it up? Because sometimes that can trigger even more aggressive proliferation, since breaking the root will cause it to send out even more shoots in response to the injury. (Canadian thistle is like this.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it does. I learned my lesson with nutsedge after I pulled some of that up. I know I will need a herbicide, I just want to make sure I have the correct one and just have to use it once. I can's seem to find anyone yet that can ID this guy for me.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
the only organic way to spot treat that im aware of is to just hand pull it out.
Haven't tried it, but years ago, Mom told me to pour straight apple cider vinegar at the base of the plant. You want it to get to the roots. Do it when it won't rain for a couple days, use more or less depending on the size of the plant.

Might not work on everything, but if it keeps out half the herbicides, it's a plus! (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant in the OP appears to be Yellow Fieldcress (Rorippa sylvestris), also known as Creeping Yellowcress. This perennial herb in the Mustard Family (Brassicaceae) is native to Europe and western Asia, but is also a widespread weed in temperate regions worldwide.

Ask a Question