HELP! New lawn overrun with weeds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So last Spring we had sod laid down (centipede), and all summer it did VERY well and looked great, without any issues at all.

Recently some weeds have started popping up, and almost like overnight they are taking over the whole lawn!

Will these die off once the grass begins to come back to life? Is there something I should start doing right now to get on top of this? Manually pulling them? Or putting down some kind of herbicide?
7036C265-10B3-4E31-8B3A-03015964E477.jpeg40B77A2A-33E1-4A0D-90C7-B6E400061CB5.jpeg5C0780CA-3A6D-474F-8149-7CA5174BBE22.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Post emergent sprays are often the choice of a manicured yard this time of year. You do not want to use them just prior to greenup. Because they are generally systemic hormones, they get inside and interfere with normal processes during the flow that comes from the roots during greenup. The chemistry will stress a healthy grass as it is, but applying at the wrong time unduely doubles down on the stress levels and may kill the lawn.

The key is identify your weeds. Because there are usually multiple types of weeds and they will not necessarily all respond to just one post emergent, the products will often contain a multiple of chemtypes for a broad spectrum of killing. The weeds may seem to die off on their own, but really they are just cycling and you will have more next year because of the seeds being produced.

That weed kind of looks like henbit. Its hard for me to tell. There are some folks here that know a lot about the subject and I would hope they could answer better than I.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have probably had a fairly up and down winter this year. Cold then hot then cold and on and on. A newly laid lawn hates this type of weather. It may have killed much of your new sod but probably not. You will just have to wait and see how much of a greenup you get. Roundup has a product called Roundup For Lawns 2. Will not hurt the grass. Once your grass is up and growing again the best weed killer and weed preventer is your lawnmower. If you keep the lawn mowed you don't allow weeds to go to seed. Once your lawn is up and if you have bare spots just dig out handful sized pieces of the green grass and plant them in the bare spots. Its called sprigging.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't really see the leaves well enough to tell, but that second picture looks suspiciously like Creeping Charlie. Please look at these images to confirm - https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...p=creeping+charlie&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-hrtab-s

:eek: If that is what you've got, yank it before those flowers make seeds!! Use weedkiller!!

Really, if that is Creeping Charlie, your best bet is to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like the precision of the cartridge size, but volume is speed as well so I ended up with a selectable torch like this for 25 usd.
Screenshot_20190320-052342.png

Ask a Question