Bird Identification Help...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been having this bird visit my garden and eating various berries I have growing. It mostly sits above and just watches over the garden, but the other day two of them were chasing each other and flew very close by me and then today one was taking a bath, but as usual I didn't have my camera.

Finally got a picture of it, but kind of fuzzy, since I had to use max zoom. I can't find it in any bird ID book for birds that visit/reside in Jacksonville, Fl.

Can anyone ID?

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm guessing the Eastern Bluebird...very common around here this time of year. They will move into bird houses readily and really help out with insect control around the garden. Great to have around.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I went back and looked at the list of birds I was looking at and there was an Eastern Bluebird (because I was wondering how I missed it)....It turns out they were showing a female Eastern Bluebird, which does not have the striking blue color as the male....

Seems like if you want to show bird ID, you'll have both pictures of males and females...:mad: Some places do and some don't....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do have some of those berries in my yard, along with a few other native plants/vines that keep them around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
FinalDily found these shots I took last year, in the fall. they clean these berries out, there was about 10 birds on the bush. Today they are in the feeder out in the snow. did not mean to have a second one twice.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eastern Bluebirds have a beautiful song... a delight to see them in the backyard & nesting in bird houses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The sale of these birdhouses finances the rescue house. They aren’t trying to compete with Walmart, they are trying to save injured and misplaced birds.

Also notice that if you pick up the birdhouse at their rescue facility the price is only $10.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The sale of these birdhouses finances the rescue house. They aren’t trying to compete with Walmart, they are trying to save injured and misplaced birds.

Also notice that if you pick up the birdhouse at their rescue facility the price is only $10.
If there is a local rescue facility I will go and buy one there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Getting some birdhouses is my next step, I'll check out that link...

The most vocal bird in my area this time of year is the Carolina Wren.

This is what it sounds like, only much louder -- the video doesn't do justice to the volume these tiny little birds produce. I hear them very clearly in my house, especially in the morning

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We have wrens here also. not sure the type. We call them House Wrens. Many years ago when we were building the addition on, a wren made a nest inside the addition before we had naturally closed it in. And there she sat on her eggs. So we worked around her. The father and her flew in and out. Finally they hatched and then finally the day came for the launch off the nest. By that time we had put windows in but still not the door. So we made sure all the tarp was moved aside and clear avenue for flight was ready. It was so cute, the parents were out on the trees yelling for them, like "this way, this way", The took off, a few landing on the floor, I helped to shoosh them to the right direction. And there they flew out side and up to their parents. Sometime I think its the kids we still see every year coming around our house. We did not have cats at that time, so guess that story is from at least 16 years ago. Humm, that is how old the addition is.

Ask a Question