Has anyone planted beets in containers?

Reaction score
Thank you ChannelG, I appreciate the help. I found the link pretty useful. I shall look around those varieties mentioned. I thought I would actually grow a couple of beets from the market bought organic ones. This is like a test run. I do not have any space right now. My balconies and window sills are full with plants. Let me see how this goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome Maddie. I am in a similar situation with lack of space. My latest experiment is with rice, though now that the temperature is starting to drop I am not sure what will happen even with my indoor plants. I don't like for the house to be too warm, but I am not ready to go out and invest in a bunch of lights, etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There is a problem here:
the pH of the soil has to be low in order that hydrangeas can absorb the aluminium required to turn the flowers blue, yet calcium, as an alkaline metal, will RAISE the ph!!!

There must be something else going on to turn your hydrangeas blue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've grown both beetroot and chantennay carrots in containers.
I didn't get a huge yield of carrots, but the flavour was strong and delicious.

Reaction score
I have never tried growing them at all. I would love to be able to grow them in a container. Thanks for the idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am trying beets now in a container. So far so good, though it's only been a few weeks. I bought a six-pack at the nursery and transplanted them to a large bowl-like container. I'm hoping the roots have enough room, but if I succeed I'll get double the plants next year.

Reaction score
I did not want to deal with pests, so never grew beets or carrots. If this works in containers, I will finally be able to try them. I have been holding on to some seeds so I am glad I ran across this thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I did not want to deal with pests, so never grew beets or carrots. If this works in containers, I will finally be able to try them. I have been holding on to some seeds so I am glad I ran across this thread.

What type of pests were you concerned with? Something that would eat above ground or below the soil? So far nothing has disturbed my beets that I can tell, but then I haven't been spending as much time outdoors recently.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never grown a plant in a sack, but it does sound like a good idea and one that I could use since I have limited space. We get those canvas tote bags from different events and they are just sitting around doing nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have never grown a plant in a sack, but it does sound like a good idea and one that I could use since I have limited space. We get those canvas tote bags from different events and they are just sitting around doing nothing.

I was thinking of doing that! I have a large canvas "craft" tote with pockets around the outside that would be perfect for planting a salad garden! Have you seen that pin where someone was growing lettuce in a small, reusable, Whole Foods shopping bag?

I just saw this article on Pinterest about growing carrots in a soda bottle.

http://www.smallkitchengarden.net/s...da-bottle-carrots-a-very-small-kitchen-garden

I wouldn't grow carrots in a soda bottle. There's not much room, and you would have to put some kind of cover over it. If carrots are exposed to light while growing it causes them to change color. (I think they turn green?)

Ask a Question