Has anyone planted "Wild Treasure" blackberries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
Warm greetings.

When I was picking berries at the u pick farms this summer for jam I came across "Wild Treasure" blackberries. I read up on them and they are a relatively new cultivar developed in Corvallis, Oregon.

I found the berries delicious. Which was surprising because I don't usually like blackberries (too sweet). But these had an excellent flavor.

Has anyone else heard of these or planted them? If you did plant them, how did they fare?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I just read that they are a new strain of trailing and thorn less berry devoloped by the US ministry of Ag,' apparently as a small berry ideally so as can be harvested by commercial machine.It is supposed that the smaller fruit is of superior quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
That sounds about right. They were derived from the pacific northwest wild blackberry (as opposed to the himalayan blackberry).

I was thinking of trying to pick up a couple of them in the spring and was hoping other folks have had experience growing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
I guess I should have updated this. I put those plants in last year and I now am getting a small fruit crop. They aren't ripe yet but.... they don't look like the ones I got from the u pick farm. They are larger and not as conically shaped. I don't know if I am not remembering properly or whether the nursery screwed up and sent me the wrong plants.

I would compare them to the u pick farm but... I don't think they have them anymore. And as far as I can tell it is not a popular variety for commercial growing. At least I can't find any farms in the Portland metro area of Oregon that has them.

I really enjoyed the flavor and texture of those berries and was hoping to grow my own.

I expect the berries will ripen in a couple of weeks and then I can taste test them.

Ask a Question