Growing vegetables indoors

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience growing something like tomatoes indoors? I have a 150w hps lying around and thought I might put it to some use on cherry tomatoes but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Jed

Reaction score
I've never tried growing tomatoes indoors but I cant see why not. I gather you intend using grow lights?
If you can leave your light on in excess of 12 hours and maintain temperatures of 18C / 65F to 30C/ 85F and ensure you keep the moisture up with out over watering which is a killer for most potted plants then you should have a lovely crop of tomatoes.:)

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience growing something like tomatoes indoors? I have a 150w hps lying around and thought I might put it to some use on cherry tomatoes but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Are you attempting to use Hydroponics or are you just placing pots with soil indoors under lights?

I am quite heavily into Hydroponics I don't grow inside at the moment, but when I lived in colder climates I grew much of my own food inside under lights, Tomatoes grow like crazy under lights presuming you look after them well, but I have never tried doing it in dirt.

Reaction score
My plants are indoors.. in that they receive a good amount of direct and indirect sunlight for most part of the day. They have been doing well in the past and now.. My plants right now are ready to fruit. I love tomatoes.. though currently I have no cherry tomatoes.

Reaction score
My plants are indoors.. in that they receive a good amount of direct and indirect sunlight for most part of the day. They have been doing well in the past and now.. My plants right now are ready to fruit. I love tomatoes.. though currently I have no cherry tomatoes.
In soil or some sort of Hydroponic medium?

Reaction score
In soil or some sort of Hydroponic medium?
All my vegetables are in containers with soil. I haven't tried hydroponic system as yet. It is pretty expensive to buy a small system here.

Reaction score
Originally I was going to just have the plant in soil but having a hydro tomato is intriguing to me:rolleyes: . How much does the taste/texture vary.

Reaction score
All my vegetables are in containers with soil. I haven't tried hydroponic system as yet. It is pretty expensive to buy a small system here.
Well, if you go to a Hydroponics shop and buy a kit yes it can be expensive.. BUT if you put your own system together it's really quite cheap..

I won't try and give you a DIY system when there are so many on google, This is one such site: http://www.hydroponicsetup.org/ You should be able setup your own system for less than $150

Reaction score
Originally I was going to just have the plant in soil but having a hydro tomato is intriguing to me:rolleyes: . How much does the taste/texture vary.
Depends how you grow, but usually less insect issues, the texture should be no different to what you grow in soil, but the taste is really something to behold, also the size you get out of Hydro is usually far larger.

Reaction score
I have experimented with growing tomatoes indoors during the winter with some success. My advice would be to look for micro-dwarf varieties which have a very small growth habit such has the variety "Red Robin". I also tried growing "Tiny Tim" but I found the skins to be too thick and tough for my tastes. "Red Robin" produced a very nice compact plant with a generous amount of cherry tomatoes.

One variety that I am going to experiment with in the future is "Hundreds and Thousands". I grew it this past summer in both the ground and from a hanging basket. Both locations did well although I would have to say that the ones grown in the hanging basket did the best. I planted 3 plants per pot and it worked beautifully. I literally got hundreds of tiny currant sized tomatoes from the one hanging basket. They were very sweet and had an amazingly long "shelf life" if left on the plant. I am curious to see how "Hundreds and Thousands" will do indoors.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Reaction score
The only vegetables I have tried growing indoors is lettuce, sprouts, microgreens, and spinach, under lights. I am able to keep my fuchsia plant alive and flowering over the winter under those light though, so perhaps a cherry tomato plant would work.

Reaction score
I also grow sprouts Claudine and it couldn't be easier! Google has lots of information about how to get started and it doesn't require a lot of time or money. My favorites are broccoli sprouts but I've grown bean sprouts as well and really loved throwing them on a salad.

Reaction score
I have grown tomatoes indoors. One thing to make sure you do is pick a variety that doesn't grow too tall. Cherry tomatoes are nice to have around, but the ones I have grown are very tall. If you look to see what the size of the plant will be when mature you will be able to limit your selection based on that.

Ask a Question