Growing water vegetables?

Reaction score
Anyone here grow aquatic vegetables/vegetables in water? There's a lot that I want to grow and I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

Do you set up special containers just for the veggies or do you use fish ponds (which I believe is called hydroponics)? Because I was thinking about growing them in fish ponds with fish in the ponds, if that's safe to do?

I figure that it's kind of "killing two birds with one stone" that way. I love fish (as pets - I'm vegetarian!) and I love plants, so might as well put them together to save space. And the plants are good for the fish (provides hiding places, shade and oxygen to the water) and fish are good for the plants because they provide food in the form of poop. Plus, the fish will eat mosquito larvae. I figure if I try having a container of water without fish I'll just be breeding mosquitoes and we have way too many mosquitoes to begin with!

I'm going to be setting up my goldfish pond soon so I look forward to trying this! If anyone has any tips that would be great! And I also have a half acre pond in my yard that I might grow something in.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not sure about growing your veggies in the same pond as the fish. I have used the water from the fish tank to feed my plants but that is two different things. I had a pond in the yard and grew water plants in the pond but not food that I wanted to eat.

Give it a try I know fish will take care of the mosquitoes.

Let us know how it works out. Maybe someone else here has some ideas and has actually grown a garden this way.

Reaction score
Hydroponic growing can be done a variety of ways, even in ponds. I'm familiar with doing it in containers and not in a pond so I would suggest that you Google growing veggies in a pond for more information.

Reaction score
I love the idea of growing vegetables via hydroponics. I currently dabble in the art of "aquascaping" and the plants I grow, while they don't yield any vegetables, really do well in water. I've often thought of stopping by the hydroponic supply house in town to check out exactly what I would need.

Ask a Question