What vegetables do you prefer growing in your garden?

Reaction score
I really like to grow Asian Greens like Tatsoi, Mizuna and Pak Choy, just to mention a few. Leafy greens of all sorts are my favourite, and I love nothing better than to walk out into my garden and pick a bit of this and a bit of that for dinner. Some lettuce leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and some eggs from the chook shed and dinner is almost ready.
I like it simple and easy, preferably small and tasty, no big watery capsicums or tomatoes for me.

Reaction score
I'm not a grower of edibles (but I'm dying to try growing some vegetables and fruits in the future), but I have grown cucumbers in the past. That experience went very well, I grew cucumbers for a while, back then I was just 16 years old or so, I did it jut for fun :LOL: I haven't tried since then.

My next try will be for cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes and maybe some green chilies :love:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Green beans and tomatoes are always the first plants I put in the ground, I will add some peppers and squash if I want to have more plants to take care of during the growing season.

How large my garden is depends on how much time I have to care for it.

Reaction score
Well that is an easy question to answer - everything that I enjoy eating :D
Which is actually quite a lot - especially as I love eating just about every type of fruit and vegetable imaginable - so grow a wide range of fruit, vegetables, herbs and nuts :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like growing vegetables that I find the most delicious:) Tomatoes are my favorite! I can never have enough of them, I'd be perfectly happy if I had a tomato field. I also grow cucumbers and zucchinis. This year, I want to plant strawberries:D It's exciting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I like a huge range of vegetables, and, having just got a 3000sq.yd allotment, I intend to grow about 50-60 different veg.

There will be 5 types of potatoes, 4 tomatoes, including plum for sauces and canning, and cherry toms, 4 different onions, 2 brown, one red and cyboes/scallions/spring onions, 2 types of leek, 2 different garlic (46 shoots!)
My broad beans are in (24 plants), and I grow fine beans and runner beans, loads and loads of peas, first early and climbing peas.
My summer cabbages are in the nursery and my sprouts are a few inches high, I'll grow winter cabbages, and both summer and winter broccoli, a few caulis and some spring greens for next year.
Along with the tomatoes, I'm hoping to grow aubergines (egg plant) sweet and hot peppers and 2 types of cucumber indoors, where the last of my winter pak choi are just about ready.
Courgettes I grow every year, but this year I'm also trying a few pumpkins, and I'll be adding lettuces, radish and mizuna to the spinach and red giant mustard in the 8ft salad garden.

I'm gonna be busy next week!

Reaction score
Well that is an easy question to answer - everything that I enjoy eating :D
Which is actually quite a lot - especially as I love eating just about every type of fruit and vegetable imaginable - so grow a wide range of fruit, vegetables, herbs and nuts :)

Hi gata montes, what kind of nuts do you like growing? I have had a go with peanuts, which were really a lot of fun to grow. My neighbour's kids used to come nearly every day, asking me: "Are they ready yet?"
So, we used to pull them out when their leaves went a little yellow. I didn't get to eat many, though. I couldn't disappoint the kids.:)
Once I was renting a house for a year, and it had a superb walnut tree in the garden that produced a lot of nuts. I stored them in the shed and let them dry for a several weeks. I still dream about their taste. :)

Reaction score
Hi - Dora M - I grow three types - almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts but only the hazelnuts and walnuts come from trees that I've planted - the almonds although I did start off with just one almond tree - seem to pop up everywhere - as they grow like weeds where I am - so in theory I get almonds - trees and nuts for free :)
Walnuts I agree are lovely both the nut and the tree - although they do very rapidly grow to an enormous size and I currently have five trees which are beginning to take up much more space than I had originally intended :D
I keep saying to myself that one day I will have a go at growing peanuts - but as yet have not got round to doing it. As you've already grown them - are they really as easy to grow as everyone says ?

Reaction score
Last year I was only able to grow cucumbers and tomatoes. I'm hoping to expand that this year to onions, zucchini and maybe green beans. Does anyone have advice on how to grow these things successfully? I'm usually just a flower/plant person. So the vegetable thing is new to me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Onions: simplest way to start is with sets (immature bulbs). Try to raise the soil you put them in, even by an inch, you can do this by making a mini mound for each set, and then follow the instructions on the pack.
Hint: the smaller the set, the less likely it is to bolt (run to seed)
Zucchini: sow each of the seeds on its side, in its own 3" pot and plant out when all risk of frost has gone. It likes a very fertile mound, and if you have a compost heap, grow them on top.
Green beans are easy and rewarding.
Sow the seeds in a line 2 inches deep (drill) in late May, thin to 6" apart, and provide support with poles or canes.

Reaction score
Tomatoes and cucumbers are always in the garden and are my favorites. The cooler spring weather makes peas and lettuce do well so, though not my favorites, I always have a good crop of them. Beans, radishes and carrots always find their way into the ground as well. Hot peppers grow well, but I grow only a few as they tend to be much hotter than the ones I get from the store - good, but I don't need a lot of them.

Reaction score
Onions: simplest way to start is with sets (immature bulbs). Try to raise the soil you put them in, even by an inch, you can do this by making a mini mound for each set, and then follow the instructions on the pack.
Hint: the smaller the set, the less likely it is to bolt (run to seed)
Zucchini: sow each of the seeds on its side, in its own 3" pot and plant out when all risk of frost has gone. It likes a very fertile mound, and if you have a compost heap, grow them on top.
Green beans are easy and rewarding.
Sow the seeds in a line 2 inches deep (drill) in late May, thin to 6" apart, and provide support with poles or canes.
Thank you!!! :)

Reaction score
Hello! I think I'd prefer having onions and potatoes in our garden, because I love them! I'm not sure if we have a plant of those here, though, and I'm planning to buy myself some just in case. I'm really not adept with names of plants and vegetables but I'm really excited to try and grow them here.

Ask a Question