Growing vegetables for the first time

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't yet actually attempted to grow my own vegetables, but this year I'm doing it! My husband is making some raised boxes for me. I'm trying to plan what to grow. The kids have unanimously voted for tomatoes. I'm also thinking yellow squash and zucchini because we eat a lot of those anyway. I want to grow things I know we'll eat. I'm also co-planning with my friend so we don't grow the same things (so we can swap when we have excess). Any tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't yet actually attempted to grow my own vegetables, but this year I'm doing it! My husband is making some raised boxes for me. I'm trying to plan what to grow. The kids have unanimously voted for tomatoes. I'm also thinking yellow squash and zucchini because we eat a lot of those anyway. I want to grow things I know we'll eat. I'm also co-planning with my friend so we don't grow the same things (so we can swap when we have excess). Any tips?
I would have to say that in my experience the most trouble new gardeners get into is that they tend to over water and over fertilize and end up with poor crops because of too much TLC.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck. I see that often as an issue among various forums, even when it comes to lawns and household plants. Seems like watering the right amount would be easy enough, but so many times something is over watered or under watered!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The vegetables you plan on growing are all good for getting started and should give you decent returns, but they are all very much summer crops, so you're likely to have nothing, then a glut.
Why not also try a few veg that grow well in the spring, like peas, for example, and go for a few cabbages that you can enjoy in the autumn?
Beans can be very rewarding, and you'll get a huge crop from a small area.
Whatever you decide, good luck, and don't be shy of asking for help should you need it; they're a great bunch on here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Growing vegetables is a wonderful idea. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. There is nothing more rewarding than eating your own tomatoes and cucumbers:D
Have you thought about planting green peas, radishes, carrots and salad? They're all really delicious:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good luck on your first garden, I am sure you will have so much fun growing your veggies, and reaping the rewards later. Be careful on the water as that is how I have ruined many crops before.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am considering beans of some sort, and I like the idea of carrots and radishes too, we eat a lot of them around here. My neighbor grows a few different types of lettuce, so she provides me with plenty! My daughter is getting excited too, she's asked for her own section to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Cool season--broccoli and spinach, as well as peas and edible pod peas, then follow with your warm season vegetables that you have mentioned, and perhaps a pepper plant or two (hot or sweet, according to your taste). Then as summer tapers off you can plant turnips, more broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. Green cabbage is really cheap at the grocery, but the red isn't!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm almost in the same boat, as I've never done a large veggie garden before. What I've learned is that the first step is to find out what grows best in your area, then narrow it down based upon what is easier to grow. I think your choices are good so far! Next step is to determine what grows best together, as some veggies will take up too much root space and crowd the ones nearby.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Best of luck with your new garden, it sounds like the start of a fun new adventure. Once I have a yard on my own I'm looking to start my own raised garden as well, so I'll be looking at yours for tips! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's wonderful you're starting your own garden. Tomatoes are one of my favorite vegetables to grow and can be grown easily. I agree with what was said above about over watering. It's never good for the plant to be over-watered because if the soil is over saturated, the plant roots won't get the oxygen the plant needs. The best thing is to set up a drip system with a timer that will deliver water over a period of time. Last season I grew a six foot tall tomato plant and harvested around 50 tomatoes. I made a video of what I did and maybe there will be some helpful tips for planting your tomatoes. Good luck this year!

http://www.growitnowgarden.com/six-foot-tomato-plant/

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good for you, growing your own garden is so much fun, it is alot of work but you will get so much out of it besides food. You will get exercise, and peace of mind by doing something physical. Growing your own vegetables gives you a sense of acomplishment. Just know not all of the plants will make it and that is normal not something you did. Lets of good hints here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love zucchini, but the one thing I found out about them is that in proper conditions they will grow like crazy. The first year I moved to the Midwest I made a huge raised flower bed with mixed gardening with flowers and some veggies in the mix. Apparently I attracted every single pollinating creature to that box and the zucchini flourished to the point where I had to give them away in droves.

Ask a Question