Growing more with less space

Reaction score
I absolutely love this idea! I may have to put my husband to work with his wood. Id love to have at least one for each corner. Whomever came up with this idea was a brilliant individual.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I absolutely love this idea! I may have to put my husband to work with his wood. Id love to have at least one for each corner. Whomever came up with this idea was a brilliant individual.

If my strawberry plants survive the summer and continue to multiply, I will have to revisit this idea. Right now I have them in hanging pots; the two plants have put out runners, which I placed in another pot to root, and one of those has put out a runner. I have one of those strawberry bag things, but I'm hesitant to put them in there.

Reaction score
There is an urban garden nearby and they have strawberries growing in pvc pipes vertically very similar to the planters pictured above. The main difference is that it is just a pipe with hole in it rather than little horizontal planting spots. Apparently they work well as long as they don't freeze too deeply in the winter.

straw.png

Reaction score
I love all the ideas and pictures. Even though I have enough room to do traditional gardening, I am going to try a couple of the ideas presented. If for no other reason than to not have to bend over for everything that I harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love all the ideas and pictures. Even though I have enough room to do traditional gardening, I am going to try a couple of the ideas presented. If for no other reason than to not have to bend over for everything that I harvest.

Not having to bend over as much as you get older is a definite advantage. Having plants up higher where it's harder for crawling pests to get to them is another plus. At the moment I have strawberries in hanging pots several feet off the ground (like eye level) and so far it's going really well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you want to go with cedar, then I think it will hold up for at least a few seasons. Most people do not reuse the same planters and pots for more than a few years anyway. I really like the pyramid idea and I wish I would have thought about it when I lived in an apartment. I grew veggies and some flowers in pots on my balcony...and the whole balcony was full so I wasn't really able to go out and sit amongst them. I just moved into a new place and am excited to get started on a bigger garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I love these idea! We need more space in the garden as well, and our next project is to transfer all the tree seedlings into their own individual pots so they can grow and stretch out a little more. We would love some flowers in our garden though, and the towers are a great idea for my mom.

One idea squirreling around in my head is the possibility of making these towers out of clay. Wood is expensive around here and getting someone to weld you a project would cost money as well, Also, they would heat up real quick. Must check with my godsisters, they know a guy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What do you do with all the "runners" strawberries put out if they are hanging in pots several feet off of the ground?

I put another hanging pot next to them - I fill it with soil and root the runners in it. When they are ready to be cut away I put them in their own pots. So far it has worked out quite well. I have one plant that needs to be transplanted, and one runner I recently cut away has put out two runners of it's own.

Only the original plants have produced strawberries so far, but it's so wonderful to pick and eat big, beautiful, juicy, red berries and rinse and eat them. If the plants keep multiplying I may have to come up with a different system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love these idea! We need more space in the garden as well, and our next project is to transfer all the tree seedlings into their own individual pots so they can grow and stretch out a little more. We would love some flowers in our garden though, and the towers are a great idea for my mom.

One idea squirreling around in my head is the possibility of making these towers out of clay. Wood is expensive around here and getting someone to weld you a project would cost money as well, Also, they would heat up real quick. Must check with my godsisters, they know a guy :)

Clay might have some issues unless you seal the containers. I like terra cotta, which I don't seal, but my mother complains about how it dries out, and pots do crack occasionally. Also I think there is some kind of issue with them in winter, depending on where you live. Untreated wood is probably best, or cloth even.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Clay might have some issues unless you seal the containers. I like terra cotta, which I don't seal, but my mother complains about how it dries out, and pots do crack occasionally. Also I think there is some kind of issue with them in winter, depending on where you live. Untreated wood is probably best, or cloth even.

Happily, we don't have winter here, so three cheers for our never-ending tropical summer (the humidity is KILLING us though). I think making a specialized product out of clay will be a bit out of my price range though, and also there's the issue of transportation. I was also considering recycled tires, which are recast in some way and then used as garbage cans.

Cloth is an interesting material to use. How would you go about doing that?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
stairraisers.jpg

Using these stair risers can give you more options for small spaces. I saw this idea while suffering the net and thought I would share.

Reaction score
View attachment 2752
Using these stair risers can give you more options for small spaces. I saw this idea while suffering the net and thought I would share.

This is a great idea. I'm currently using the steps on my deck to hold small potted herbs and veggies to maximize my yard space.

Ask a Question