Growing more with less space

Reaction score
Vertical gardening at its finest, wonderful ideas from all who posted. Its amazing how much more that you get in a space if you go vertically for at least some of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
View attachment 2752
Using these stair risers can give you more options for small spaces. I saw this idea while suffering the net and thought I would share.

Guess what, @Pat? I just built one of these for the restaurant garden! Only I turned the stair stringers around and used them vertically. You can get them pre-cut at Lowe's for $10! I have to get more stringers and do one more riser for the rest of the arugula plants I'm delivering today.

BTW - those are stair stringers, not stair risers. Stair risers are the boards you actually stand on to "rise" up the stairs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Vertical gardening at its finest, wonderful ideas from all who posted. Its amazing how much more that you get in a space if you go vertically for at least some of it.

I'm going to be creating vertical planters from fence boards at the restaurant in a few weeks for the low growing herbs, strawberry-style. I have some herbs in pots now, but way more are needed. We also have to sort out the irrigation, but it's exciting to be putting all these grow more less space ideas into practice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cloth is an interesting material to use. How would you go about doing that?

Wow, sorry I never saw your question and responded. You could use a canvas tote, burlap, reusable grocery bag, or you could purchase the cloth grow bags they sell at garden suppliers. I saw something on Pinterest where a person grew lettuce in one of the small reusable totes from Whole Foods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Many of us in the city love the experience of growing, especially when we can produce something edible for the table. Unfortunately, we are restricted by the amount of space, and in some places, by ordinances. Finding a way to get more growing space can be challenging.

Aeroponic towers are expensive and a little complicated, and topsy turvey planters give you a little vertical space, but are only good for one plant. Hanging bags don't seem like much of a better option either, since they need something to hang from.

I came across a great idea that I think would give lots of space for lots of growing, depending on how much space you have:

tower_planter.JPG

The pyramid is meant for strawberries but I could easily see this filled with herbs, greens, and maybe even tomatoes.

Here's a small scale vertical planter that could also work:

38_sp.jpg

If this is yours I am very jealous because I wanted one of these for my birthday. I did get a very nice raised garden bed with enough dirt to fill one side. However, I absolutely love these pyramids. I cannot do a lot of bending so I like the idea of the vertical planting making the plants easier for me to access. Plus, its just so charming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If this is yours I am very jealous because I wanted one of these for my birthday. I did get a very nice raised garden bed with enough dirt to fill one side. However, I absolutely love these pyramids. I cannot do a lot of bending so I like the idea of the vertical planting making the plants easier for me to access. Plus, its just so charming.

I don't have any vertical planters yet at home, but in the restaurant garden I put in one of those vertical risers you make from stair stringers.

c12524827fc66369fe49e027383df3a1.jpg

I have arugula planted in window box liners on each "stair." I bought another set of stringers to install in the next few days, and after the first of the year I am going to make fence board strawberry towers for the low growing herbs.

32a6073e611df2746b843e61041e7a43.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I want them all. Dan is going to lose his mind. I really love the stair one. I know exactly where to put it! I wonder if you could do the fence board tower with any other plants. I know strawberries are great for that kind of thing, but are there any other herbs or veggies that would do well this way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I want them all. Dan is going to lose his mind. I really love the stair one. I know exactly where to put it! I wonder if you could do the fence board tower with any other plants. I know strawberries are great for that kind of thing, but are there any other herbs or veggies that would do well this way?

That is exactly what I am planning to do with the fence board one. The first ones will have thyme plants, and the second wave will likely have oregano or mint. The stair stringers are only $10 at Lowes, so that makes things simpler as you don't have to figure out how to cut them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, just a though ... it is the dirt and water that makes the wood rot as quickly as possible. When you have your plants in containers you could treat/ paint/ varnish your pyramid once in every few years to make it last longer.

Looking back through the beginning of this thread, Maddie's comment reminded me of a vertical system I saw recently that I now want to incorporate into the restaurant garden along with the window box liners I'm now using:

cf33c373b90c20638eb129d97089b1f3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have three of these clay chimney flues that I am going to use this spring. I was thinking of cutting a small hole or two on each side to be able to plant vining plants to grow out of or I might just use them as they are and fill them with dirt and grow something out of them. I was going to place them around the yard as I have 3 of them. I need to get them out of my job so why not make something out of them.

linermeasure5.JPG

I saw some of these recently at a place that salvages building materials. At the time I didn't think to ask about the cost. I'll have to remember to go in and check the next time I am in the area. These could be a good addition to the herb garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Most raised beds I see sold already made are made of cedar because it tends not to weather easily and it has a natural bug repellant property to it. The raised bed that my love bought for my birthday is made out of American cedar and it doesn't even need to be treated. I will probably end up treating it with something as I get further into my process. I am loving these urban gardens I am seeing on rooftops. The metal is such an interesting twist and very urban and edgy. Someone started a very strange urban garden in our part down the street. I will have to get down there and take pictures for you guys. I'm a bit flared up due to the weather, so I would hope I can get a walk in this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The raised bed that my love bought for my birthday is made out of American cedar and it doesn't even need to be treated. I will probably end up treating it with something as I get further into my process...

You should leave the cedar untreated. The wood will last a very long time without it and you won't have to worry about any chemicals leaching into your soil. It's really better to leave it the way that it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You should leave the cedar untreated. The wood will last a very long time without it and you won't have to worry about any chemicals leaching into your soil. It's really better to leave it the way that it is.
Well, then I won't worry about it. I do like the untreated wood look better. I need to get dirt to fill the deep side. Right now, Dan has a piece of wood nailed across it to keep it squared until I get it filled. I can't do heavy lifting so getting the dirt is his job. I'm wondering if I can get bags delivered to the house and whether its even worth the delivery charge. Wait, we still have like three more months of winter. It really doesn't matter right now. Ha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, then I won't worry about it. I do like the untreated wood look better. I need to get dirt to fill the deep side. Right now, Dan has a piece of wood nailed across it to keep it squared until I get it filled. I can't do heavy lifting so getting the dirt is his job. I'm wondering if I can get bags delivered to the house and whether its even worth the delivery charge. Wait, we still have like three more months of winter. It really doesn't matter right now. Ha!

Actually, it does matter. You could have the dirt delivered and start preparing it to support your spring plants. Also, depending on just how wintry your climate is, there is a lot you could be growing right now. It really depends on how involved you want to get. You can get an early start or keep things going in cold frames and transplant later, for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Actually, it does matter. You could have the dirt delivered and start preparing it to support your spring plants. Also, depending on just how wintry your climate is, there is a lot you could be growing right now. It really depends on how involved you want to get. You can get an early start or keep things going in cold frames and transplant later, for example.
Oh! Brrrr! We currently have a frostbite warning! We are getting hit by an artic blast and a bad storm tonight. They next two months will be brutal. The earliest I can get in my outdoor gardens will be March now. Most people start seedlings indoors in February or so. It will help keep cabin fever from taking over my house.

Ask a Question