Growing more with less space

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh! Brrrr! We currently have a frostbite warning! We are getting hit by an artic blast and a bad storm tonight. They next two months will be brutal. The earliest I can get in my outdoor gardens will be March now. Most people start seedlings indoors in February or so. It will help keep cabin fever from taking over my house.

Sorry to hear, I mean read that. We're being hit with a blast as well - it's supposed to drop into the upper 20s overnight, but thankfully it's only going to be brief. (After two more nights/mornings in the 30s we'll get back to 40s and 50s). I read something today about mulching that made me think of you:

Multi-Layered Mulches
LayeredMulchBP.jpg

Beds where I plan to grow broccoli, spinach and other heavy feeders get the best winter mulch of all – four or five layers of whatever organic materials I have on hand – leaves, rotted sawdust, garden waste, etc., -- stacked and dampened until it’s about 6 inch (15 cm) deep. Then I cover the moistened mulch with a piece of burlap or old garden blanket to create comforter compost – a quilt of biodegradable materials that can be turned under or raked aside in spring.

This is the source: http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=161

It's a very good article on mulching.

Ask a Question